Discuss Is this a cock up in this book? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

h34thy

Hi everyone
I'm reading all I can at the moment on inspecting & testing, I'm reading Chris Kitchers Practical Guide to Inspection, Testing & Certification, first ed.

I'm on page 95, step 1 of measuring PFC. It says "Place the phase lead on the supply side of the main switch and the neutral and earthing probes/clips onto the earthing terminal" now opposite that in the picture on the same page it says "Joined leads (which I'm guessing is the neutral and earthing probes/clips said in step 1) at neutral at supply side of main switch. I'm sure I'm not mistaken in saying that's a mistake in the book.

Does anyone agree or am I missing something?

Cheers!

Hey mate some meters require you to join neutral and earth (2 wire tester) for PSSC.

my fluke 1652 for instance does not require you to connect them together.

You might be getting confused between PEFC and PSSC

PEFC = L-N-E 3 lead test
PSSC = L-N/E 2 lead test

1st might be for pefc and 2nd for pscc. but there are some mistakes in that book. this might be 1 of them.

Just got a bit confused guys,

There's steps 1 - 3 for connection for 2-lead instrument
and
There's steps 1 - 2 for connection for 3-lead instrument

For 2-lead instrument it says in writing & pic red & black probes to supply side of main switch.

For 3-lead instrument in writing it says "Place the phase lead on the supply side of the main switch and the neutral and earthing probes/clips onto the earthing terminal".
But in the pic it shows you black and green croc clips clipped together and placed on the neutral terminal supply side of the main switch and red probe on the live terminal of the supply side of the main switch.

Test instructions for PSCC are on next page.

Not doubting your knowledge guys just abut confused.

Has anyone got the book? Plus think there's another cock up on page 101 lol

can't comment on fluke and metrel testers as i use a megger, and that's always a 2 lead test. only use 3 leads for no-trip efli testing. and as archy says, there's a few errors in that book. go by your mfts crib sheet.

so now we have 3 line motors????? methinks the suits at IET are just altering terminology to justify their existence and buy new ipads.

Will do mate when I get one, just trying to stock up on as much knowledge as poss to get myself ready for 2391 or 2394/95.

I'm thinking of getting one of the fluke multimeters, could anyone recomend which one?

Why bother with those books? I'm sure Mr Cockburn will have a self published 15 page comic I mean explanatory document giving all the information you need

yeah. 1552/3, that's a megger made by megger, used to megger, no flukes about it.

Reply to Is this a cock up in this book? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net