Discuss Is this acceptable? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Is this acceptable? IMG_20190814_101932 - EletriciansForums.net
So the incoming power is coming from X1 and three phase is being distributed to Q1 using 25mm cable. Phase 1 & Neutral are going to Q2. I was curious as to what cable size is acceptable going to Q2? I assumed it would also need to be 25mm but I've been told as its pulling a maximum of 1A that 1mm is acceptable.
Is this correct or is this a safety hazard?
Thanks in advance, first time post and new to the industry.

The pfcc and pscc on a circuit run in 1 mm is going to be a lot lower than is required to break the incoming.
So no 1 mm won’t do it.

Edit : having read robs post. If there is a very low chance of a fault occurring then yes I may agree with him, but it’s not something I’d do.

Edit : having read robs post. If there is a very low chance of a fault occurring then yes I may agree with him, but it’s not something I’d do.

It's within a control panel, it's very common to see this and also panel lights, maintenance sockets and BMS supplies fed off the incoming side of the panel isolator. All marked, live when panel isolator is off.

The pfcc and pscc on a circuit run in 1 mm is going to be a lot lower than is required to break the incoming.
So no 1 mm won’t do it.

It's a common method of doing things in control wiring.

However the stipulation is the wire length (<3m) and it hasn't to be likely damaged, so realistically, inside trunking within a control panel it's not.

View attachment 51295
So the incoming power is coming from X1 and three phase is being distributed to Q1 using 25mm cable. Phase 1 & Neutral are going to Q2. I was curious as to what cable size is acceptable going to Q2? I assumed it would also need to be 25mm but I've been told as its pulling a maximum of 1A that 1mm is acceptable.
View attachment 51295
The apprentice from what I’m seeing is the arrow you drew was pointing at the grounding conductor and after 30 amps you can defrayed the equipment ground. Looks fine to me

Although it is fine to do that as discussed above.
I prefer to size cable in that scenario bigger than required.
I think I would have used 4mm, apart from any other reason, it tends to fit the larger terminals found in the isolator a bit better.

Reply to Is this acceptable? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock