Discuss Is this ceiling light compliant? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi

I've just purchased a metal framed ceiling light from AliExpress and I am concerned that it has no earth connection or double insulated labelling, and it's not double insulated anyway.

I know buying from AliExpress is not the best idea but I really liked the design and plenty of UK sites are selling the same thing at 400% mark ups, so I assumed it must meet basic standards.

Required self assembly of course, with thin 240v wires running through each of the 'branches'. Only a single layer of insulation between the wires and the metal frame. To make matters worse it came with 'wire nuts' to join everything together, which I'll certainly be swapping out for Wagos.

Even if I were to earth the central 'hub', I'm not convinced it will earth each of the lamps, as the metal frames and even the threads are painted, likely preventing a good earth bond throughout. The spiky locking washers probably help scratch through the paint a little mind you.

Any suggestions? I will do a continuity test between each lamp frame, but should I run an earth through each branch and scratch back the paint at each terminal point just to be sure? (7nr earth wires including the central lamp not pictured)

Is this ceiling light compliant? 1 - EletriciansForums.net

Is this ceiling light compliant? 2 - EletriciansForums.net

If the connections are sound, and there’s no loose strands of wire hanging out… there’s no reason it won’t be safe if the metal is earthed.
The arms are all connected with serated washers, so they’ve got a good contact.

I would worry more that the electronics on the end of each arm are safe, and reliable.

The wiring in the arms looks to be low voltage, is there a transformer / power supply in the part that fixes to the ceiling?

Th
The wiring in the arms looks to be low voltage, is there a transformer / power supply in the part that fixes to the ceiling?
That’s what I thought at first, but then, it is from Ali express… don’t assume anything.

Throw it in the bin. That's my advice.
Probably the best suggestion haha... but I particularly like the design. Wiring aside its good quality construction.

I would worry more that the electronics on the end of each arm are safe, and reliable.

Nope, 240v all the way, just 12W at each fitting hence the thin wires I guess. I'm actually considering replacing all the LED units anyway, partially for safety and partially because they are not dimmable - my home is wired with smart home dimmer modules from Fibaro so would be a shame to disable the dimming functions in this room.

These will fit into each housing nicely and not too expensive so maybe the way to go, I could pull some double insulated wires through the 'branches' whilst I'm at it.

The thin wires may be reinforced insulation.... much stiffer than regular cable insulation, so doesn't need to be double insulated....

I'd be happy to have this in my home, as long as it was on a 30mA RCD protected circuit, and with the addition of an earth wire connected to the central steel joint box.
I've rewired several chandeliers over the years when rewiring large houses, and done similar to these, based on my own engineering judgement.

Wagos can't be used with stranded cables.
How have you come to that conclusion? Appropriate Wago connectors can be used with fine stranded cables. Any of the ones I can think of can be used with (non-fine or very fine) stranded cable.

Mains is low voltage.

You know what he means. You are just being pedantic. It is often easier to use the term 'low voltage' in this way to the layman. No point confusing members of the public with technical definitions of LV and ELV.

You know what he means. You are just being pedantic. It is often easier to use the term 'low voltage' in this way to the layman. No point confusing members of the public with technical definitions of LV and ELV.
But if you do that the layman will never learn from his/her mistakes.

But if you do that the layman will never learn from his/her mistakes.

The question was from a DIYer. Hence people keeping things simple.

As far as a DIYer is concerned, 230V AC is high voltage, whatever the official definition is.

Reactions: DPG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is this ceiling light compliant? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock