Discuss Is this design exceptable for a Bathroom fan extractor. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Tha
Any of the 'standard' fittings like this are regarded as IP20, which can't be used in zone 1 or 2 (so up to 60cm from the side of the bath). Outside of that they are ok for general use in a bathroom as long as they are not likely to be sprayed with water.

PVC trunking is OK in zone 2 to run cables through, though it shouldn't have any joints within it as it doesn't have an IP rating for water resistance (that I know of).

There is an extra wrinkle here though - the RCD spur you show is currently not listed in the Wiring Regulations as an acceptable way to add 'additional protection' in a bathroom, though there is conflicting information as to whether this was an error or deliberate.

Some people would say that means it can't be used on new installations to comply, but requires a more traditional RCD or RCBO protection

I still take the view that there are places where it is reasonable to use it, though adding more traditional RCD protection is a better option when it's available.

Is there any RCD protection in the property?

One final point - any work within the zones in a bathroom is notifiable under the Part P Building Regulations scheme, which generally means it has to be done by a registered person in the competent schemes.. There are other ways by notifying it yourself, but they can be costly...
Thanks for the advice . No RCD protection in the property. I also have the option of placing the RCD Spur outside the bathroom . I think from the edge of bath to wall is around 35 - 40 cm.

Just checked from bathroom edge to wall 100 cm.
Although it would be OK more than 60cm from edge of bath, I'd personally put it outside where it's an option - that way you know all the wiring within the room has the protection - and also means it can be isolated/reset when necessary...

There is an extra wrinkle here though - the RCD spur you show is currently not listed in the Wiring Regulations as an acceptable way to add 'additional protection' in a bathroom, though there is conflicting information as to whether this was an error or deliberate.

Some people would say that means it can't be used on new installations to comply, but requires a more traditional RCD or RCBO protection

I still take the view that there are places where it is reasonable to use it, though adding more traditional RCD protection is a better option when it's available.
This is the view also taken by the NICEIC in their latest Connections magazine, published a few days ago. A 2 page article, ends with the conclusion that such RCDs do have a place, but should be noted on the certification as a departure.

This is the view also taken by the NICEIC in their latest Connections magazine, published a few days ago. A 2 page article, ends with the conclusion that such RCDs do have a place, but should be noted on the certification as a departure.
What is noted on the certificate as departure mean?

All electrical work should be accompanied by a certificate. This can be a minor electrical works certificate, or an electrical installation certificate.
The purpose of these certificates is to declare that the work complies with the regulations.
As the current version of the regulations does not support the use of RCD fused connection units, if you choose to install one, then you must record it on the certificate as a departure from the regulations.

All electrical work should be accompanied by a
All electrical work should be accompanied by a certificate. This can be a minor electrical works certificate, or an electrical installation certificate.
The purpose of these certificates is to declare that the work complies with the regulations.
As the current version of the regulations does not support the use of RCD fused connection units, if you choose to install one, then you must record it on the certificate as a departure from the regulations.

certificate. This can be a minor electrical works certificate, or an electrical installation certificate.
As the current version of the regulations does not support the use of RCD fused connection units, if you choose to install one, then you must record it on the certificate as a departure
Thanks .

Thanks for pointing that out - I should probably read it a bit more often!

Useful that they've finally put something properly in print. Makes sense too. Now all we need is Napit to decide their viewpoint and there might even be agreement on something!

The RCD spur unit in question . Is there any requirements as to what amps the MCB at the consummer unit should be . Or does that depend on the amps of the RCD spur unit it self, weather its 10 amp or 30 amp. Does that make sense? Morning all.

Hi . When powering a bath fan from the main circuit and no longer from the light circuit how do you stop powering from the lighting once the new cable from fcu has been put in place. The wiring from the rose to the junction box is 3 core and earth. So i gather do you cap the neutral.wire to stop the powering of the fan ? And will this still switch the fan on and off via the pull cord but no longer power the fan. Thanks.

Reply to Is this design exceptable for a Bathroom fan extractor. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock