Discuss Is this EVCP install correct? Artisan electrics. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Firstly, this chap seems very professional and I like his (plethora) of videos. It is just to discuss one aspect of his work in the one video. I'd like to think he would welcome constructive discussion as that can only lead to improvement.

He has installed an earth rod to this rolec charger. My confusion is related to the purpose of this earth rod. Is it purely to obtain sub 200ohms in order for the RCD in the charger to trip correctly, or is it to adhere to regulation 722.411.4.1 (ii) which means obtaining an Ra of around 1ohm. If the latter, then one earth rod will not have achieved this.

Actually, if he has glanded off the SWA in a stuffing gland and not connected the 3rd core (earth) of the SWA to the earth in the charging unit then that would be ok? He would have made the whole charging unit a TT? I'm not sure if he has done this though. If he has used a normal SWA gland, then the nut of the gland will be TNCS, whereas any exposed conductive parts within the charger will be TT.

This thread is just to discuss this, no real questions in mind. I'm finding EVCP's more and more interesting (not the OZEV grant bit though!).

Firstly, this chap seems very professional and I like his (plethora) of videos. It is just to discuss one aspect of his work in the one video. I'd like to think he would welcome constructive discussion as that can only lead to improvement.

He has installed an earth rod to this rolec charger. My confusion is related to the purpose of this earth rod. Is it purely to obtain sub 200ohms in order for the RCD in the charger to trip correctly, or is it to adhere to regulation 722.411.4.1 (ii) which means obtaining an Ra of around 1ohm. If the latter, then one earth rod will not have achieved this.

Actually, if he has glanded off the SWA in a stuffing gland and not connected the 3rd core (earth) of the SWA to the earth in the charging unit then that would be ok? He would have made the whole charging unit a TT? I'm not sure if he has done this though. If he has used a normal SWA gland, then the nut of the gland will be TNCS, whereas any exposed conductive parts within the charger will be TT.

This thread is just to discuss this, no real questions in mind. I'm finding EVCP's more and more interesting (not the OZEV grant bit though!).

Haven't looked at it in full, but Rolec chargers do not have a CNE/PEN fault detection device, it is therefore normal to provide these with TT - however you must also ensure there is no TN(C)S exposed within the area. (so no class 1 exterior lights for example) - and yes gland off the SWA - but do not use the TN(C)S earth from the gland - in fact this must be insulated on the outside so contact cannot be made.

@ArtElectrics is a member of this forum.
Looking at the video you posted, it would seem there may be a problem here.
If the EVCP has been wired as a TT system, the problem is that outside tap right next to it....

However, if you watch the whole video (which I admit I didn't at first), Jordan says he had to put an insulating section in the pipe.

Last edited:

Reply to Is this EVCP install correct? Artisan electrics. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock