Discuss Is this genral knowledge in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

1stfix2ndfix

Or is it in the book (regs) ?

I was helping on a job today and paid particular attention to the fact that when the cutout fuse was 100a and the main switch was 100a we had to upgrade the size of the tails to 25mm

When it was 60a we didn't! Now I'm not 100% sure if the main switch was 100a 80a or 60a which might make a difference!

At what point do you have to upgrade the tails?

it was the last job of the day, after a near 400 mile round trip for 3 jobs so I didn't want to hold up proceedings by ask a million and one questions ...

I don't think it is possible to get a main switch less than 100A in a CU these days.

The size of the tails can be calculated exactly the same as any other cable based on the size of the company fuse.
OR if the tails are feeding something like a switchfuse then the rating of the fuse in the switchfuse can be used for the calculation. So if you have a 32A switchfuse you could use 6mm tails.

Or is it in the book (regs) ?

I was helping on a job today and paid particular attention to the fact that when the cutout fuse was 100a and the main switch was 100a we had to upgrade the size of the tails to 25mm

When it was 60a we didn't! Now I'm not 100% sure if the main switch was 100a 80a or 60a which might make a difference!

At what point do you have to upgrade the tails?

it was the last job of the day, after a near 400 mile round trip for 3 jobs so I didn't want to hold up proceedings by ask a million and one questions ...

So you cut the seals on the meter then?

I don't always upgrade the 16mm tails to 25mm - especially if the house isn't likely to draw much over 40A! jmo. Tin hat on

The tails need to be rated for the current they will take and so this is based on the rating of the protective device if you have a 100A fuse and the installation is taking 100A then the tails need to be able to cope with 100A.
The rating of the main switch is dependent on the load it will take, it should be rated equal to or higher than the design current, generally if you have a 100A fuse then the switch after it should be rated to 100A, though if the installation is divided then each switch may not need the full 100A capability.

think i've posted before that i've had 16mm T/E running at 110A for about 30 minutes, at which time the 63A MCB let go. measured the temperature of the insulation at 39deg. hate to think what i'd have had to shove through it to get to 70.

so why is xlpe higher rated temp for same conductor size? copper melts at around 1000 deg.

With 6mm volt drop would probably be the downfall rather than exceeding the temperature rating.

so why is xlpe higher rated temp for same conductor size? copper melts at around 1000 deg.

1085°C

I don't always upgrade the 16mm tails to 25mm - especially if the house isn't likely to draw much over 40A! jmo. Tin hat on

So if the load is liable to be high would you replace the tails from the head to the meter? If you don’t it makes a mockery of replacing the tails from the meter.
Yes it’s their property and they work to their own rules. But technically they should be replaced to be of equal CSA.
The DNO’s own specification states 25mm for 100A in a new install.

Last edited by a moderator:
normally, you select the size according to the OCPD for the tails, but in a domestic situation where the load will never approach any where near 100A, 16mm tails, if showing no sigh of damage, can be left in. on a new installation, obviously, you fit 25mm.

See Best Practice Guide number 6.

"16mm² meter tails with a 100A cut-out fuse could be adequate if the maximium demand of the installation (taking into account diversity and load profile) does not exceed the current-carrying capacity of the tails, AND also provided that the requirements of the Regulation 434.5.2 for protection of the tails against fault current are met."

In other words... excatly whats already been said!! But nice to see it in black and white!

"16mm² meter tails with a 100A cut-out fuse could be adequate if the maximium demand of the installation (taking into account diversity and load profile) does not exceed the current-carrying capacity of the tails, AND also provided that the requirements of the Regulation 434.5.2 for protection of the tails against fault current are met."

In other words... excatly whats already been said!! But nice to see it in black and white!

Careful now .. that could be bordering on being a Racist Comment. ;)

My understanding, is the requirement for 25mm tails is something to do with the DNOs, not something that is a requirement of the Regs.
In the majority of cases, 16mm tails are more than adequate for loads up to 100A.

As far as I know the best practice guide isn’t issued by the IET but by the NICEIC. It therefore doesn’t really carry any weight. It’s just the NIC making things up as they go along. (As per normal.)

HHD, if you blithely follow everything you read in black and white, could I recommend the two excellent publications by Mr. D. W. Cockburn.

I was taught to question things, find out the reason why things are done. Not just blindly follow everyone else.
If you look how I phrased the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] part of #11, I said “But technically they should be replaced to be of equal CSA.”

Because XLPE insulation can cope with a higher conductor operating temperature.

PVC is only specified to cope with a 70degree conductor operating temperature. the inner surface of the insulation will be in contact with the conductor which is at 70degrees, the outer surface will be at a lower temperature due to the fact that the insulation will also insulate thermally as well as electrically.

In all the decades i've been working in this industry, i have yet to see a single circuit let alone an installation approaching anywhere near to operating normally at 70c!! The only person here that may have is Tony, working in the steel foundry industry.... (With appropriate insulation method/material in place)

A conductor operating even remotely near 70c, the PVC insulation will be showing definite visual signs that something is very wrong!! ....

As far as I know the best practice guide isn’t issued by the IET but by the NICEIC. It therefore doesn’t really carry any weight. It’s just the NIC making things up as they go along. (As per normal.)

HHD, if you blithely follow everything you read in black and white, could I recommend the two excellent publications by Mr. D. W. Cockburn.

I was taught to question things, find out the reason why things are done. Not just blindly follow everyone else.
If you look how I phrased the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] part of #11, I said “But technically they should be replaced to be of equal CSA.”
I was brought up the same way tony, not many people seem to have been brought up like that now adays.

Electrical Trainee :You need a new fuseboard
average Client: how much?

They dont question anything to makesure its valid for some reason, when my pc was goosed did I go and buy another?

No I just bought new psu etc

In all the decades i've been working in this industry, i have yet to see a single circuit let alone an installation approaching anywhere near to operating normally at 70c!! The only person here that may have is Tony, working in the steel foundry industry.... (With appropriate insulation method/material in place)

A conductor operating even remotely near 70c, the PVC insulation will be showing definite visual signs that something is very wrong!! ....

The only time I’ve used MICC was directly above an iron ladle, kiln tops were done in cambric.

Otherwise find a route around the heat source. All cable runs were coated in ganister cement as a precaution against metal splash. But normally you avoid heat whereever possible.

Reply to Is this genral knowledge in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock