Discuss Is this Ikea Ceiling Light Compatible with my Wiring? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
My wife bought a nice new ceiling light for our landing at the weekend. I’ve swapped a few pendant lights before without an issue so cracked on with this one. However, it immediately looked a little more complex.

It had 3 neutral and 3 live wires going into it (pictured) and an earth, but the new Ikea one only has one input for live and one for neutral.

Is this Ikea Ceiling Light Compatible with my Wiring? IMG_20200222_130806 - EletriciansForums.net

Google suggests this is because it has one coming in from the previous light in the landing circuit, one out to the next one and one from the switch?

Anyway, I turned the trip switch off and tried to wire it up any way, using 2 of the 3 pairs of cables at a time which left the light either

• On all the time, neither switch turned it off, other lights working
  • Off all the time, neither switch turned it on, no other lights working
  • Tripping the fuse

So, 2 questions. Is there a way to wire this light into the existing system? What would you do?

95% chance I’m calling an electrician in, but want to check I’m not missing something obvious.

My wife bought a nice new ceiling light for our landing at the weekend. I’ve swapped a few pendant lights before without an issue so cracked on with this one. However, it immediately looked a little more complex.

It had 3 neutral and 3 live wires going into it (pictured) and an earth, but the new Ikea one only has one input for live and one for neutral.

View attachment 55956

Google suggests this is because it has one coming in from the previous light in the landing circuit, one out to the next one and one from the switch?

Anyway, I turned the trip switch off and tried to wire it up any way, using 2 of the 3 pairs of cables at a time which left the light either

• Tripping the fuse

So, 2 questions. Is there a way to wire this light into the existing system? What would you do?

95% chance I’m calling an electrician in, but want to check I’m not missing something obvious.
Get an Electrician to connect it for you cgfw save a lot of heart ache.

It would have been easy to advise you from that picture as to how to do it if you'd asked before having a go, now that you've had a go and mixed the cables up it will require the cables to be tested to establish which on eis which.

@davesparks has hit the nail on the head with the post above.
Yes, it is possible to wire it up to your new light.
No, now that you have mixed the cables, we can't tell you how to wire it, as they will need testing to see what cable does what.

Always the wife’s fault ;) As above though re getting help. You’re looking at a loop in and loop out plus the switch line at the ceiling rose. Ceiling rose may also need removing / re jigging depending on how the new light fits.

View attachment 55956

• Tripping the fuse

Yes you need to call an electrician, even if we told you how to wire it. All you have done is got your wires crossed

If you look at your ceiling rose picture there are two neutrals. One blue has or had brown sleeving on it indicating the switch line return, this is the blue you need to identify. The only thing we can be certain of is the three browns need connecting together separate from all other connections. An electrician will figure it out in minutes.

Reply to Is this Ikea Ceiling Light Compatible with my Wiring? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock