Discuss Is this lighting wiring odd? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Is this lighting wiring odd? 56A7C0FE-DFF3-4804-A10E-6B51B50E52EB - EletriciansForums.net Gone to replace a light in our house and found the following setup. Given its the old colour scheme I’m a little confused which I need for live and neutral given all the red are looped. The black with the tape is the switch so does this go in neutral or live on my new light (it has a live, neutral and earth fitting) and the other non taped black go in the other - earth is obviously for earth - thanks for any help

Well quite simply - you need to understand that type of wiring. The black cable with red tape on it is the switched live - ie the cable that comes back from the switch. The red cables are your permanent lives which supply live to the next light. However, I think you need a better understanding of this wiring to do any work

It’s called “loop in wiring”

That s a stadured set up for a lighting circuit , the cables need terminating correctly though, I dont like all that bare coper on the permanent lives (the 3 reds) those reds will still be live with the light switch turned off . so make sure you turn of the lighting circuit at the consumer unit and test its dead before you touch it, if you are not sure if the circuit is saftley isolated then i would suggest to get a spark this would be a simple job and should not cost much to do just a call out charge , but if you do not isolated the circuit propley or connect up the light incorrectly you could get an electric shock or worse case , kill yourself or someone else, not trying to scare you , just want you to be safe

Reply to Is this lighting wiring odd? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock