Discuss Is this non GS38 tester safe for sale? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
OK chaps, a slightly frivoulous rainy day one here but has a genuine question behind it:

Electric Fence testers. I got one supplied to us the other day as part of a complete fencing kit that Mrs Rockingit bought. It's just some cheapo affair based on a neon network that increments in 1kV intervals up to 7kV, but it's external design is based on a large open metal hook around 1" size, and then there's a short 6" open probe on a wire that you push into the ground to make the circuit.

Now, we know that by design if I come into contact with that hook (and obviously the fence itself) I'm going to get a belt.

So.... where does THAT sit with EAWR and GS38???!!!!

Not a deadly current so no worries about risk of death, only of jumping a long way!

I suggest you try it and see if there is a problem, if you do not survive then complain to the manufacturers!

Have you tried reading the instructions? If you read them properly it says "this product should only be used by your wife or mother in law" just keep out of the way when you hear the scream! lol.btw are you far from the gorge?stayed at froglands farm campsite years ago but its now gone,was only 10 mins walk from there and used to get a good pint in the hotel on the main street.

Have you tried reading the instructions? If you read them properly it says "this product should only be used by your wife or mother in law" just keep out of the way when you hear the scream! lol.btw are you far from the gorge?stayed at froglands farm campsite years ago but its now gone,was only 10 mins walk from there and used to get a good pint in the hotel on the main street.

Well, it's for use on the Mother in laws farm so we live in hope! I'm about 20-30 minutes south of the Gorge, slightly down from Glastonbury in the middle of nowhere - if you find yourself down this way again then let me know, there's always beer to be drunk.

Well, it's for use on the Mother in laws farm so we live in hope! I'm about 20-30 minutes south of the Gorge, slightly down from Glastonbury in the middle of nowhere - if you find yourself down this way again then let me know, there's always beer to be drunk.
cheers mate any good campsites near you?

There's a few - including this really big one that Micheal Evis has once a year! But seriously, yes there are (though I'm no expert) - everything from tents and caravans to Romany Caravan and 'proper' gypsy style setups. I'll have a look later and PM you.

OK chaps, a slightly frivoulous rainy day one here but has a genuine question behind it:

Electric Fence testers. I got one supplied to us the other day as part of a complete fencing kit that Mrs Rockingit bought. It's just some cheapo affair based on a neon network that increments in 1kV intervals up to 7kV, but it's external design is based on a large open metal hook around 1" size, and then there's a short 6" open probe on a wire that you push into the ground to make the circuit.

Now, we know that by design if I come into contact with that hook (and obviously the fence itself) I'm going to get a belt.

So.... where does THAT sit with EAWR and GS38???!!!!

Best way of testing it is to stand about a foot away and pee on it. Let me know how you get on! :cry_smile:

I suppose its all down to "reasonable avoidance of risk". Using the tester "safely" would not present a problem whilst an error would result in mini mA surprise. GS38 cannot be applied to all and every "testing" scenario. Every day thousands of un-skilled people test a circuit or appliance using "test probes" that do not conform to GS38. The test probe is SO plug top,and the test precedes with someone saying "Go on Doris,plug it in and see if it works......" They survive because of our tendency towards common sense.Usually! Its bank holiday...the safety police are at the beach...chill :joker:

Old post dug up ??

it 's TC's fault. he told him to pi$$ on it and that rotted the post, the fence fell down and the grass got electrocuted. serves him right for talking to the fuzz.

That's odd when I posted earlier someone had revived this post, Christopher2 or similar.

Anyway GS38 is irrelevant in this case, the up to 7kv fence is live for all to touch when active, it doesn't kill animals, it won't kill humans.

We'd have heard a lot more about it if these fences did.

Can we put this back to bed again? It was only frivolous to start with!!!!!

Opportune thread resurrection, Mrs Robo wants to buy an electric fence tester to use at the stables, any recommendations? apart from try grabbing it dear!
She belives some parts of her fence is down on power.

Opportune thread resurrection, Mrs Robo wants to buy an electric fence tester to use at the stables, any recommendations? apart from try grabbing it dear!
She belives some parts of her fence is down on power.

I'd be fairly sure you can pick one up from any Countrywide (etc). That's where this one came from as part of a 100m kit - also for the daughters nag and also bought by Mrs Rockingit. This one just looks like it's a neon/resistor ladder network in 1kV increments up to 7kV. Probably cost tuppence to make in some chinese sweat factory.

Ironically, one of the first ever threads I put on here was about an electric fence - backfeeding through someone's TT and causing shocks inside the house via the bonding!

Reply to Is this non GS38 tester safe for sale? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock