Discuss Is this PME, the DNO day it's up to me to find out! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

NDG Elecs

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
IMG_20171016_175319.jpg Hi,

Just a quick query for others views please.

Customer had a brand new three phase supply put in in April. I have been called in to rectify the ---- poor work carried out so far. The first thing I noticed was there is no main earth. The 3P head has a green PME sticker, but there is no terminal to attach too nor any obvious knockout to link into the N. Normally you have the little hex key terminals on new PME up here.

Customer rang NEDL today to determine whether this NEW supply is definitely PME. He was told it is up to his spark to determine this and they cannot tell him whether it is PME... It is a bloody new supply, surely they should have records of it. If not then get the bloody maps out and see where it is tapped off from in the street!

So, given the completely carp response from NEDL what would you do. Told client it may need rodding, but would obviously prefer PME..but how to connect? Test and drill through the head to access the N!!!

EDIT: I could come out of the top of the N block as there is a spare terminal.

Thanks..

Sounds like you got to talk to the wrong person in office. test Ze and kA if both readings are the same L-N and L-E then PME you will probably have to provide earth block.

He doesn't have an E.....
If the PME label is from the DNO then like you said the earth terminals are hidden behind the sealed N block. There should be little holes so you can put the 16mm from the side. If Not just take the cover off and connect up there.

He doesn't have an E.....
If the PME label is from the DNO then like you said the earth terminals are hidden behind the sealed N block. There should be little holes so you can put the 16mm from the side. If Not just take the cover off and connect up there.
It is the hole top right of the green sticker.

Tried to blow up photo but cannot read the label and can only make out an indentation, but it does look similar to the service heads used up here where the holes are on the RHS of N block. Anyway he has somewhere to look... lol

Here what you are saying, but there is no side entry point nor a knockout for the ME. My post was more of a rant at the carp response from NEDL. Customer probably paid several thousand for it and this is the level of 'aftercare' !! The NEDL 'representitive' said that if there is a sticker on it, it is PME and that they do not lie!! What's that statement about!

Will be testing it tomorrow. Just never seen a PME head without some kind of already accessible term to link into. Will come out of the top

Sounds like you got to talk to the wrong person in office. test Ze and kA if both readings are the same L-N and L-E then PME you will probably have to provide earth block.

Just reread that. Cannot test Ze as no main earth!

Re the other posts; all isos are off yes. Also the G/Y at bottom is not the PME, it is a 6mm main earth going to a different unit upstairs, along with standard 16mm meter tails. These both run for 7 metres with no switch fuse AND with the cables buried in the wall!!! I am running new tails in in trunking with suitable protection for their length.

Surprised no one has picked up on the absence of a gland on the tails. It is a mess of an install, client wants me to cert the lot! He didn't like my answer!! I would however happily certify the idiot that did this work!!

Last edited:
Whats going on with the 2.5's sticking out of the board? It might be for testing purposes but it looks very dodgy.

Well dodgy indeed mate! The 'tails' feeding the board are fed from a 13A plug from another supply. The tails that disappear at the bottom of the photo are connected to the left hand twin n earth. So the upstairs unit had some power basically. Tis a thing of beauty!

Thanks for replies everyone :)

Last edited:

Reply to Is this PME, the DNO day it's up to me to find out! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net