Discuss Is this possible than turning on oven make a 1 second power outage in home? ( playing diablo 1 ) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sew333

-
Reaction score
Hi.Have an question. It is possible that when turning on oven make a 0,5-1second power spike,without tripping fuse or breaker? I ask because when my mother in kitchen turned on oven,diablo 1 crashed to desktop on my old laptop. Nothing get tripped etc,lights not. So it was coincedence that game crashed in this moment or not?

Laptop not restarted i just saw STEAM icon like always and desktop ,when i back.

Event viewer said that:"A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Steam Client"
"the service did not respond to start or control request timeline fashion "

Also i was on balcony in this time.

ps:
Diablo 1 is from GOG not steam.

On a laptop, unless you're running it without batteries it's highly unlikely a minor power issue will crash an application. Whether there was a network issue as a result of the power fluctuation that caused it to crash is another matter entirely, although I've never known Diablo 1, 2 or 3 to crash completely when a network issue has occurred.

If the laptop is plugged in, and has a battery pack, then if the mains drops out, the battery pack will supply power so a mains transient shouldn't cause a problem.

hope pete999's don't drop out.
Is this possible than turning on oven make a 1 second power outage in home? ( playing diablo 1 ) {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Is this reproducible? The key to finding out whether it's a coincidence is to recreate it. If the same thing happens every time the oven is switched on then there's likely something odd going on.

In the (IMHO much more likely) case where it was a one off, and turning the oven on makes no difference in the future, then it's just a coincidence.

Yes it is possible !
If the electrical system that feeds both the stove and computor,
is struggling, this will likely cause a current limit effect, so more load equals less voltage for all to share. you need to get the electrical system fixed or upgraded. Using a UPS is a good short term patch.

We tried 4 times turning oven when diablo 1 was running. Nothing happened. Also steam was running fine. But steam is only background. Diablo 1 is standalone not from Steam.

In moment when Diablo 1 crashed to desktop event viewer said:"Event viewer said that:"A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Steam Client"

"the service did not respond to start or control request timeline fashion ""

Diablo 1 is from GOG not steam.Diablo 1 is playing from standalone files.offline

So it can be related to starting oven or it was coincedence?

Like i said it crashed to desktop,laptop was not turned off.

Polish electrics can be errrrr entertaining especially in the sticks.
If this is not repeatable every time
- it was just bad luck-! (some one else's oven went-Bang/No Hot dinner)
(the volts had already dipped at meal time --and dipped a little more when Oven got turned on ... )
(pre-heat oven a little next time ,at less important part of game)

Last edited:
What you mean "bad luck"?:)

In moment in crash,event viewer said that:
"Event viewer said that:"A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Steam Client"

I am playing Diablo 1 from standalone version files,its offline. Steam is only a background program so internet doesnt matter.
Also i was in balcony 5 minutes, i cant tell when diablo 1 crashed to desktop ,before or after turning on oven. But for sure in this time.
Laptop is not in battery,its from power cord ( wall ).
Laptop not restarted,because everytime before boot to Windows 10 i must enter account PIN number. It only game crashed to desktop.

So it can be related to oven or coincedence?

What you mean "bad luck"?:)

So it can be related to oven or coincedence?

Like gambling 50:50 the oven contributed to the event.
May just have been a coincidence / Interference + low voltage.
Was it everyone's meal time ?
(Likely voltage is low , and other devices operating less well = more interference)
--There is nothing wrong with your oven,It's just asking for energy!-

Last edited:
Unless it happens again then treat it as a spurious thing. No need to worry too much just yet. Maybe the contacts didn't cleanly switch and created a slight arc that maybe caused a transient on the power supply which might have caused the computer to glitch. Doubtful you will ever find out.

But laptop not crashed ,game just crashed to desktop :)
Also laptop is without battery,battery is not charged.

We tried 4 times turning oven when diablo 1 was running. Nothing happened. Also steam was running fine. But steam is only background. Diablo 1 is standalone not from Steam.

In moment when Diablo 1 crashed to desktop event viewer said:"Event viewer said that:"A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Steam Client"

Diablo 1 is from GOG not steam.Diablo 1 is playing from standalone files.offline

So it can be related to starting oven or it was coincedence?
Like i said it crashed to desktop,laptop was not turned off. Laptop without battery and baterry is not charged.

Reply to Is this possible than turning on oven make a 1 second power outage in home? ( playing diablo 1 ) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock