• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts to registered members

Discuss Is this possible to do safely? in the Advice for Professional Canadian Electricians area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Trying to install a stove in my garage to use only the oven portion for small powder coating projects. I have a Nema 6-30 outlet on a 30amp breaker already in the garage.

I know a stove should be on a 40-50Amp breaker but I understand that would be needed if the oven and all elements were going at the same time. My thought is if I completely disconnect all the stove top elements to avoid them accidentally being used it might be possible. Is this wishful thinking or would it be possible to do this and also convert the 4 prong plug that has a neutral and a ground to the Nema 6-30 plug safely

Thanks

Megawatt

-
Arms
Reaction score
Trying to install a stove in my garage to use only the oven portion for small powder coating projects. I have a Nema 6-30 outlet on a 30amp breaker already in the garage.

I know a stove should be on a 40-50Amp breaker but I understand that would be needed if the oven and all elements were going at the same time. My thought is if I completely disconnect all the stove top elements to avoid them accidentally being used it might be possible. Is this wishful thinking or would it be possible to do this and also convert the 4 prong plug that has a neutral and a ground to the Nema 6-30 plug safely

Thanks
It certainly needs to be 4 wire but I think 30 amp plug should hold just the oven. Good luck with your project

Reaction score

Thanks
Work fine, just make sure the oven top disconnected and you should be able to use a smaller mcb

Reply to Is this possible to do safely? in the Advice for Professional Canadian Electricians area at ElectriciansForums.net