Discuss IS this safe..how do I fill it in?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I had an electrician do my house rewire and certain things made me bit trust him. I have 2 wall light fittings in my living room and the electrician filled in the chases to a certain extent. You can see from the picture that the wires run behind the fitting and when the fitting is screwed to the wall the wires look like they are pushed against the wall really tightly.

My first question is, is this safe?

Furthermore, you can see the light fitting is really narrow and old. I have no idea how I'm going to fill the gap between the wall and the fitting, whilst providing adequate protection for the electrics. I would have thought that the electrics would be housed withing a little box that could be plastered over? I dont particularly care about the light fitting..would I be better off buying a newer kind with a circular base that the electrics could sit in to snugly and then the fitting just go over the top of it.

Should the original ectrician sorted this out when he was plastering in the chases?

Sorry..im really useless when it comes to this kind of thing. I just want to know the best and quickest solution so I can finish decorating the room. If it involves paying to get an electrician in sort it then I'm happy to do that.

Any help is hugely appreciated!!

Attachments

• IS this safe..how do I fill it in?? 20200803_121205 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200803_121205.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IS this safe..how do I fill it in?? 20200803_115133 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200803_115133.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IS this safe..how do I fill it in?? 20200803_115030 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200803_115030.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IS this safe..how do I fill it in?? 20200803_114957 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200803_114957.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IS this safe..how do I fill it in?? 20200803_114927 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200803_114927.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IS this safe..how do I fill it in?? 20200803_114639 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200803_114639.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 111
Hi guys,

I had an electrician do my house rewire and certain things made me bit trust him. I have 2 wall light fittings in my living room and the electrician filled in the chases to a certain extent. You can see from the picture that the wires run behind the fitting and when the fitting is screwed to the wall the wires look like they are pushed against the wall really tightly.

My first question is, is this safe?

Furthermore, you can see the light fitting is really narrow and old. I have no idea how I'm going to fill the gap between the wall and the fitting, whilst providing adequate protection for the electrics. I would have thought that the electrics would be housed withing a little box that could be plastered over? I dont particularly care about the light fitting..would I be better off buying a newer kind with a circular base that the electrics could sit in to snugly and then the fitting just go over the top of it.

Should the original ectrician sorted this out when he was plastering in the chases?

Sorry..im really useless when it comes to this kind of thing. I just want to know the best and quickest solution so I can finish decorating the room. If it involves paying to get an electrician in sort it then I'm happy to do that.

Any help is hugely appreciated!!
You sure he was an Electrician?

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the comment. Just wanted to know what you mean? Is the work that bad?

Would be great if you could elaborate.

Cheers!
From what I can see from the photos, the wires are getting traped/pinched behind the fitting, soe Maint free connectors would be better also a larger hole behind the fitting, remember if you are using wet filler isolate the lighting whilst filling. My point about the "was he an Electrician" highlights that he shouldn't leave it like he did.
[automerge]1596462185[/automerge]

From what I can see from the photos, the wires are getting traped/pinched behind the fitting, soe Maint free connectors would be better also a larger hole behind the fitting, remember if you are using wet filler isolate the lighting whilst filling. My point about the "was he an Electrician" highlights that he shouldn't leave it like he did.
[automerge]1596462185[/automerge]
Cheers mate!! Thanks for your help.

I fully suspected he had done a naff job..i really wasnt happy with how he left it. I guess I will get someone else in to sort it out!!

Cheers!

Cheers mate!! Thanks for your help.

I fully suspected he had done a naff job..i really wasnt happy with how he left it. I guess I will get someone else in to sort it out!!

Cheers!
Where are you situated?

It is sometimes difficult to do the connections on that type of light fitting but i always tended to flush an architrave metal box into the wall behind such fittings.
Usually plenty of room for any connections then and much neater although a little extra work.

+1 for Paul L. A metal architrave single box behind each fitting will allow the wall surface to be made good and safely enclose the connections. Not for DIY though - you will need a professional electrician.
Best regards,
Colin jenkins.

+1 for Paul L. A metal architrave single box behind each fitting will allow the wall surface to be made good and safely enclose the connections. Not for DIY though - you will need a professional electrician.
Best regards,
Colin jenkins.
Thanks so much Colin!!
[automerge]1596483089[/automerge]
It is sometimes difficult to do the connections on that type of light fitting but i always tended to flush an architrave metal box into the wall behind such fittings.
Usually plenty of room for any connections then and much neater although a little extra work.
Thanks Paul. Good to know. Thanks for your help!
[automerge]1596483145[/automerge]
Where are you situated?
Cardiff..if you can recommend someone I am all years!

Cheers!
[automerge]1596483166[/automerge]
Thanks so much Colin!!
[automerge]1596483089[/automerge]

Thanks Paul. Good to know. Thanks for your help!
[automerge]1596483145[/automerge]

Cardiff..if you can recommend someone I am all years!

Cheers!
Ears..even!

Absolutely horrible lights to install given there is hardly any room to dress the connections.
architrave box sunk in , made good with filler then put light up....(in that order)

Absolutely horrible lights to install given there is hardly any room to dress the connections.
architrave box sunk in , made good with filler then put light up....(in that order)

Absolutely agree totally naff light fittings but as said in post #12
An archtrave box would be a slightly better job but would still be exposed and you would have to even partially fill in the corners of those with plaster too

I have never seen arch boxes installed for wall lights like that so far, just a bit of the plaster dug out and the cabling squashed in

Best and only method for this situation would be to throw those lights in the bin get some decent ones that give your electrician half a chance of doing a proper job!

I'd use a plastic conduit box with a hole drilled in the cover and rubber grommet, would have a hard job to see it once it's decorated and painted, wallpaper even better, does anyone wallpaper anymore?

Those are not easy lights to work with, but the electrician should either have done a proper job, or said he couldn't fit hem...not leave them like that

through crimps and heat sleeve over the joint would have been another reasonable solution ?

(but I still wouldn’t have been overly happy with the joint squashed into the wall)

You did say "certain things" did you mean other parts of the installation have given you cause to doubt the skill of the person working on the installation? Did you get a certificate for the work done?

Also, could have sourced some brass screws to actually fix the lamps to the wall. We’re these replacing old wall lamps and repositioned slightly?
They are the same qall lamps that were there before..looks likenhebdid reposition them, but I dont know why.

I thinknIm just going to buy new fittings and get an electrician in to fit them.
[automerge]1596528149[/automerge]
Absolutely agree totally naff light fittings but as said in post #12
An archtrave box would be a slightly better job but would still be exposed and you would have to even partially fill in the corners of those with plaster too

I have never seen arch boxes installed for wall lights like that so far, just a bit of the plaster dug out and the cabling squashed in

Best and only method for this situation would be to throw those lights in the bin get some decent ones that give your electrician half a chance of doing a proper job!
Cheers for the advice. I think that is what I will do.
[automerge]1596528345[/automerge]
You did say "certain things" did you mean other parts of the installation have given you cause to doubt the skill of the person working on the installation? Did you get a certificate for the work done?
Well..he has filled in the chases and in some parts the wires are showing through the plaster. As such I'm going to have to get a plasterer in and do it again. I wouldn't mind..but he said he could do it and I paid separately for it.

I have got certificates. He did a real rush job and I'm just hoping its all safe!

Last edited:

Reply to IS this safe..how do I fill it in?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock