Discuss Is This Safe or Dangerous? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

New here and know nothing about electrics. Our landlord sent an electrician to do an electrical test and now nobody in the flat dare have a bath!

I've grown up knowing that water and electrics do not mix well. We were surprised to find after the electric test had been done, it seems the toilet is now hooked up to the bath (on left side of pic)!

Please have a look at the photos, there is bare copper wire poking through (the bit that shines in the pic) at the side of the toilet and the green wire (that goes behind the bath taps) wasn't there before:

Is This Safe or Dangerous? IMG_2330.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
Is This Safe or Dangerous? IMG_2331.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Can anyone let us know if this is safe? The weather's hot and we all need a bath!

Cheers,

Dean

This is bonding cable. Its job is to link the main earth terminal in the consumer unit (fuse box) with the metal pipework that enters the building. It's a requirement to have it, so that there is no voltage between the earthed bits of your electrical stuff (like metal switches and sockets), and the bits of metal coming out of the ground (water and gas pipes etc).

It is likely that your installation is safer than it was before (assuming the cable goes back to the main earth terminal of your consumer unit).

Go have your bath. :)

It is there for the complete opposite reason that you are thinking.

This is bonding cable. Its job is to link the main earth terminal in the consumer unit (fuse box) with the metal pipework that enters the building. It's a requirement to have it, so that there is no voltage between the earthed bits of your electrical stuff (like metal switches and sockets), and the bits of metal coming out of the ground (water and gas pipes etc).

It is likely that your installation is safer than it was before (assuming the cable goes back to the main earth terminal of your consumer unit).

Go have your bath. :)

Thanks for your help and info Steve, genuinely thought we'd be electrocuted!

Ok Dean,I just can't see the thought process in thinking than an electrician would come in to the property and do something to make the electrical installation more dangerous - didn't anyone think to ask him what the new cable was all about ?

For whatever reason it would appear someone has put some bonding in place, whether this is supplementary or main protective bonding we cannot say from here but it is not likely this is an issue detrimental to your safety.

Ok Dean,I just can't see the thought process in thinking than an electrician would come in to the property and do something to make the electrical installation more dangerous - didn't anyone think to ask him what the new cable was all about ?
Surprised you think like that. I’m not surprised people think this as it is sometimes true.

Dean you where quite correct to check if you think something is unsafe. It might have been, but in this case it’s not. the bonding is a safety feature.

The landlord is totally ruthless, cuts corners and avoids repairs at all costs. We made no judgement on the electrician. We only discovered the new green cable in the bathroom after he'd left so didn't ask, plus, we still know nothing about electrics and would have been none the wiser had he drawn diagrams for us.

@OP. without going into the technicalities, that is there to prevent you getting electrocuted should a fault on the electrics occur. only thing i can faultit on is that there should be a label attached with the text " Safety Electrical Connection, Do Not Remove."

Reply to Is This Safe or Dangerous? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock