Discuss Is this the ground wire? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope you are all safe and well. I am replacing a ceiling light and the new fixture has a ground connect but old one just the two wires. However there is this cable unused as you can see it's the one sticking out. Is this the ground wire? Thanks.

Attachments

• Is this the ground wire? 20210210_105353 - EletriciansForums.net
    20210210_105353.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 25
"fixture" and "ground wire" are terms commonly used by residents of the great US of A.
We in the great UK use the terms "fitting" and "earth wire".

would be a good idea also to trace the cable back to ensure that the earth wire is connected at tother end. but only a test using the appropriate equipment would confirm it's continuity back to earth via the Consumer Unit.

Also the visible copper on the screw terminal block (often called a "choc block" here, looks a bit like snappable chunks of chocolate) is not good, ideally it should be just inside the insinuated part of the block.

Hello everyone, hope you are all safe and well. I am replacing a ceiling light and the new fixture has a ground connect but old one just the two wires. However there is this cable unused as you can see it's the one sticking out. Is this the ground wire? Thanks.
Us this ok?
Should I wrap insulating tape around the exposed copper wire?

Attachments

• Is this the ground wire? 20210210_111823 - EletriciansForums.net
    20210210_111823.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 24
Also the visible copper on the screw terminal block (often called a "choc block" here, looks a bit like snappable chunks of chocolate) is not good, ideally it should be just inside the insinuated part of the block.
So could I wrap insulating tape around the copper wire, or how else could I fix this?

So could I wrap insulating tape around the copper wire, or how else could I fix this?
The best solution is to have the cable prepared (stripped and trimmed length) so when it is in the terminal block the insulation is not too far out (i.e. it is not showing any exposed copper conductor).

Some times the reason it won't go in properly is the other conductor in the block is too long and is protruding in to the half you are trying to insert the new cable in to.

I have sleeved the ground wire and it now looks like this

Attachments

• Is this the ground wire? 20210210_134540 - EletriciansForums.net
    20210210_134540.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 15
I have tightened everything up and it looks like this. I just want to say thank you to everyone who helped. It was very much appreciated. Thanks!!

Attachments

• Is this the ground wire? 20210210_161027 - EletriciansForums.net
    20210210_161027.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 10

Reply to Is this the ground wire? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock