Discuss Is this the right inverter? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi Gavin A, Thanks for reply! PIP 1624 HS inverter-charger model is advertised like 1.6-3.2 kWatt on ebay! It s tripping because current on AC side is over 7 Amps. 4 Solar pannels (Maximum 1 kWat all in parallel) charging 2 batteries 180 Amper-hours each connected sequence 24 Volts. So, 30 volts from pannels converted to 24 to charge batteries and then from 24 Volts batteries DC PIP 1624 makes 230 Volts AC. MPPSolar.com passed my details to lawers to chase me. I am scared lads, and taking chance to say "Good Buy" everyone and make my last wish. Next day I publish reply without changing. At least we hav a fun time
Hi, which inverter specifically (make / model) are you referring to?

might be as simple as it needing wiring up differently to get it to carry the 3.2kW outputs - eg Power-One 3.6 Out-D inverters need the link putting in to get both sides working if run in single string / 2 strings parralleled to same input.

ouch - do you mean their lawyers are chasing you for the posts made here?

Would surely be a lot better for their reputation if they got their tech guys on this forum to resolve the issue for you instead of bullying you into submission.

didn't realise it was a battery system - chances are that it's actually 1.6kW continuous, 3.2kW short term peak output from the inverter then, as this is how those inverters tend to work. This should really be explained in the sales blurb and technical literature though.

I suggest 1.6 to be DC charging power limit (actually it is 50 Amps gives you 1.2 kWatt and you are limited with 5 solar pannels only unless the pannels twisted a bit toward sun to spread max) and 2.4 suppose to be AC power limit but it is written on reset bottom 8.7 Amps and I repead tripping 1.5 kWatt so real insert is 6 Amps. Anyway it s so far of declared 3,2 kwatt. MPPsolar.com replyed that best way to use power under 1 kWatt as a few trips may damage inverter. And it stinks when connected to mains even without load. I have a couple of gas testers and will find out what gas it is.

First I asked company for refund and collection of item or replacement. The result is "they accept as insult and pass my details to solicitors". If they arrest me and bring from Ireland to Thailand? Lads, they knows my address! Anyway today I engaged dispute through PayPal as no other way available.

I do not think electricians or engineers on other end exist at all. When I asked what is best way to wire my 4 pannels (on the inverter it says 24-120 Volts so I could go in sequence and that gives me 120 V in Max or Seq-Parall gives me 60 V or parallel 30V) but no reply received. It is no instruction in book about that. Remembering that all declared may be just declared I plugged at my own risk all pannels in parallel

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest 1.6 to be DC charging power limit (actually it is 50 Amps gives you 1.2 kWatt and you are limited with 5 solar pannels only unless the pannels twisted a bit toward sun to spread max) and 2.4 suppose to be AC power limit but it is written on reset bottom 8.7 Amps and I repead tripping 1.5 kWatt so real insert is 6 Amps. Anyway it s so far of declared 3,2 kwatt. MPPsolar.com replyed that best way to use power under 1 kWatt as a few trips may damage inverter. And it stinks when connected to mains even without load. I have a couple of gas testers and will find out what gas it is.

First I asked company for refund and collection of item or replacement. The result is "they accept as insult and pass my details to solicitors". If they arrest me and bring from Ireland to Thailand? Lads, they knows my address! Anyway today I engaged dispute through PayPal as no other way available.

I do not think electricians or engineers on other end exist at all. When I asked what is best way to wire my 4 pannels (on the inverter it says 24-120 Volts so I could go in sequence and that gives me 120 V in Max or Seq-Parall gives me 60 V or parallel 30V) but no reply received. It is no instruction in book about that. Remembering that all declared may be just declared I plugged at my own risk all pannels in parallel

As I suspected, it's clearly advertised as being 3200W surge, 1600W continuous max output - I suspect the 1600 continuous is at 220V, so at higher grid voltages the output will be lower.

This inverter is a 1600w continuous / 3200w surge,
1600w surge 3200w 24v pure sine wave inverter charger inverter power inverter, View inverter charger, MPP Solar Product Details from MPPSOLAR INC. on Alibaba.com

I don't know about Ireland, but in the UK that also wouldn't conform to G83 standards as it outputs at a power factor of 0.8, G83 regs are for PF of 0.95 or higher.

I can't quite work out if it's actually supposed to operate in grid tied mode in parralel with the grid, or more as a UPS supply to supply some circuits seperately to the grid - if the latter then the power factor would probably be ok.

Are you actually a solar trained spark, or DIYer?

Do no trust Greeks!

Ireland have all same as UK standards. I am BSc in Physics, City&Guilds Engineering Technician e.t.c. So I am a bit understanding and bit curious why microwave shows 1.2 kWt on my Inverter instead of 0.7 kWt. I would belive 0.9 but no more.

I m fed up with bills. I have been chasing this idea for my own household for a couple of years, but installers charged so terrible price equal your electric bill for around 40 years. I sent them calculations but they were not impressed.

System I tryed to set in my house suppose to replace totally your electrical suply if you have enough batteries capacity and enough sonshine and good amount of pannels, charging batteries day and using AC anytime independent of supply. System has mains supply to charge batteries and supply through bypass also if we get nuclear winter. As we are not in Morocco I simply and unplugged inverter-charger from mains and plugged my fridge to AC supplying end. So solar pannels charging batteries and supplying my fridge only. The rest of my electric usage is on mains.

I think AC breaker working on current not on power unless something new. Anyway inverter shows produced Voltage 236 V. Will check if true tomorrow.

This is same inverter-charger 48 V if you like to see. PIP 1624 HS missing from screen on 1 st page or nobody bought yet 48 Volts to claim refund as myself

4000W 48V pure sine wave solar smart UPS inverter charger max 50A | eBay

Do no trust Greeks!

Ireland have all same as UK standards. I am BSc in Physics, City&Guilds Engineering Technician e.t.c.
in which case I'm a little baffled why you expect an inverter that's listed as being capable of peaking at 3.2kW for a maximum of 5 seconds, or 1.6kW continuous to be doing anything greater than 1.6kW... or be particularly surprised if it trips a little lower than this.

bit off to be complaining about that tbh, as it's doing what it states it will do give or take a small percentage.

Fridges have much higher surge currants on start up of the compressor than their actual ratings, so probably not the best thing to be using with an inverter like this.

you;re right, it will be current, so I've probably got that bit the wrong way round, was posting quickly.

lead acid batteries give off hydrogen on charging, but sounds more like to me that you're running the system too hot and burning off crap left inside in the manufacturing process... or worse. If you're going to buy cheap Chinese rubbish, it's a little unwise to be trying to run it well beyond it's official rated output - I'd think the advice to keep it below 1kW would be sensible.

It was a book delivered in same box with inverter nothing saying about trippin limits, thanks for informing me.
I am not familiar with all perfect devices in market. The one I purchased:

1. Stinks plugged to mains, two hours work and concentration of CO2 four folds normal in the room with ventilation (Cheked today 9 a.m.). Imagine if you set it ON overnight inverter installed downstairs and never wake up. Fortunatly I set it up in my shed in backyard. I will repead test tomorrow and send official opinion to Environmental Protection Agency of Ireland if it is not late and somebody wakes up in better world.

2. Under rated power. When I ordered I e-mailed to mppsolar that in my household maximum power is 3 kWatt. Nobody from mppsolar.com advised me that it will be in danger to use anything over 1 kWatt and it will be tripping on 1.5 kWatt like it suppose to tripp on 3.2 kWatt with 5 seconds.

3. It s declared like 95% officiency. If It runs fridge 80 Watts inverter itself consume 120-200 Watts. 33,3 and less?

4. Ventilator produce noise like a few bad computers from early 90' s. Imagine it turns ON automatically in midnight and wakes up your neighbours, I m no saying about your family.

5. Finally If you pay for car with 4 wheels and get car with 3 wheels and trying to claim your customer's rights to refund or replace company unleash solicitors on you. Well done Mppsolar.com! That was last straw.

I hope your interest in mppsolar.com inverters dramatically increased.

You paid tuppence for a device that if properly built and certified should cost multiples of £192!! Chances are it is being built from reject parts outside of the legitimate factory and I doubt it is pure sine wave.If you buy a car for £192 I would almost guarantee it has 3 wheels. If it goes up in smoke it will be a nasty experience so I suggest it is not used in the house. A noisy fan tells you it is poor quality as the fan should only operate on occasions when the unit has been running hot for a while. It suggests a lack of heat sinks. The CE certificate has been checked for conformity has it? I bet you did not pay any VAT either? Just a hunch

Apologies to the OP as this thread has been hijacked. Should really be a separate post.

The customer is not the expert. He / She can only agree to what the so called expert says. This is quite clearly a bad design and i would get the installer back. If no joy find out what MCS approved body he /she is with and invite (no demand) them to inspect your system. I'm sure the work will be done correct eventually.

The customer is not the expert. He / She can only agree to what the so called expert says. This is quite clearly a bad design and i would get the installer back. If no joy find out what MCS approved body he /she is with and invite (no demand) them to inspect your system. I'm sure the work will be done correct eventually.
sounds like a DIY job to me

It was stated above that Ireland has the same standards as UK. They are slightly different as far as I can tell.
Is this the right inverter? Capture.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Is this the right inverter? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock