Discuss Is this training course worthwhile? Time and Money? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ive limited experience in the electrical field and im wanting to learn. Would this course be worth while? I cant get a placement with anyone as I have childcare issues and my employer doesnt have the time to train me from the beginning. The only issue I see with the course is that its 8 days long whereas an apprenticeship is 4 years. How can I learn everything needed in 8 days when it should take alot longer?

Part P)Full & Defined Scope Electrical Scheme

(APL)
The first three days of this course will provide a Practical application for electrical Installation in a domestic environment
This course covers
Using the correct cable and installation methods to give you the knowledge to completely install all the circuits in a domestic property.

Installation of distribution boards ,sockets ,lighting ,heating etc
It is design for those with little or no electrical experience.
Part P electrical qualification for those who wish to join either the ELECSA or NICEIC Electrical
Competent Person Schemes. The Full Scope Scheme is for those whose main role is domestic electrical
installations or maintenance and wish able to carry out full electrical installations including installing new
consumer units or ring mains. The Full Scope qualification includes all the areas originally mapped in the
EAS document that detailed 17 competency areas for electrical work being carried out within domestic
properties. This course has been fully updated in line with BS7671:2008 17th Edition Wiring Regulations
For more details on the ELECSA Electrical Competent Persons Scheme go to
http://www.elecsa.org.uk/
For more details on the NICEIC Domestic Installer Scheme go to
NICEIC, the home of contracting excellence - NICEIC

Course Duration: 8 days
Course cost ÂŁ965.00 plus vat

as you said. how can you learn 4 years in 8 days. all that course will do is teach you the basics of wiring sockets and lights. and i mean basics. to do it properly and have any chance of gaining employment you need to do the core qualifications. check with your local college. 2 evenings a week think the c&g course is 2357 part 2 then part 3.

that course is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. forget it. for inspection/test, you need 2394 and 2395. then 17th EDition, wiring regs., that's after you've done the 2365. for 3 years.

thanks for that lol The guy im working with is putting me through 17th edition and inspection and testing but with no previous experience in the industry I dont see how Im able to do the job. Seen a tradeskills for the 2365 which lasts 30 weeks but its ÂŁ7000 which is way off my budget

do those courses. if you can pass 2394/5 then you should be competent to test/inspect with some practical experience, which your boss should provide.

It's all about the short cuts, for someone that doesn't know anything or even someone that thinks he's a great DIYer these short cuts aren't the right way to go, do it properly if you are going to do it, good luck

thanks very much for the advice its greatly appreciated. Ill look into the 2394/5 courses and ill speak with my tutor to see if he can recommend where to do the courses. Im currently studying my HNC in electrical/mechanical engineering which doesnt provide any practical experience just theory

I'm doing my C&G 2365, ok it's a lot of week but from what's said on here doing this vs a 17 day/5week course, employers won't be going for the latter....or at least I hope not

if I had the time to do it properly I would but I just want to learn enough to do inspection and testing as thats why hes employing me and training me. I would prefer to not use short cuts but thats what Im reduced to unfortunately

- - - Updated - - -

but with the 2365 course your doing is that not an apprenticeship or can you do it without an employer?

Wish it was an apprenticeship, not been that good, Santa didn't give me that this year, nah 2 evenings each week at my local college, if I had an employer then I'd try to change it to an apprenticeship but I don't!

probably sounds better doing it two evenings a week, im already doing a full day at college each week from 9-8 for my current course. I got lucky with him, but I dont get paid by him I volunteer at the minute and he said that hes not happy about not paying so he will pay for training courses and provide all the tools ill need. Have most of the basic tools but in regards to a decent multimeter hes providing that.

Sounds good to me, I'd happily volunteer with someone like that just to be next to a qualified sparky, cant give help away these days, ppl just dont have the time to teach which is understandable, that's the best way to learn, seeing it done or doing it!

I wish he was teaching me but he tells what he wants done then leaves me on my own, plus its only on a as needed basis so maybe a couple of days one week and then nothing for three weeks. But he wants to put me on the courses to get me full time inspecting and testing but Im worried ill not know enough about what Im doing and ultimately look like a tool if im wrong lol

Sounds like a weird setup. I've not heard of anything like it. So you get used for work every now and then, unpaid, and the dude pays for your testing course, which you feel out of your depth doing as you have no experience?

Testing installations usually follows on from extensive installing experience. It's very hard (presumably) to go straight into initial verification and periodics without the fundamentals of the vagaries of installation work.

Perhaps you need to get on site as a mate and learn the trade the paid way.

thanks very much for the advice its greatly appreciated. Ill look into the 2394/5 courses and ill speak with my tutor to see if he can recommend where to do the courses. Im currently studying my HNC in electrical/mechanical engineering which doesnt provide any practical experience just theory

So who is paying for you're 3 year E&M HNC course at college??

Reply to Is this training course worthwhile? Time and Money? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net