Discuss Is too late to start . in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thommo

Trainee
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Just wondering your thoughts and welcome any advice.
Just been made redundant again from my original trade of printer which frankly is a dying trade. I did a 5 year apprenticeship in the early eighties which at the age of 55 now seems worthless.
In and out of the print trade over the years I regularly worked on site ceiling fixing for my uncles firm.
I worked a lot of nights on London Underground steel fixing and installing ceilings and panels over track and escalators etc.Running compartment trunking along platforms, using chem fix on threaded rod and many other things.Therefore I do have plenty of experience using tools etc and have gained certification necessary for that work on lul.
All have now expired except CSCS card.Have enquired about this kind of work, but jobs are scarce and based on who you know.
I have been offered a start as a sparks mate and doing a months trial. Obviously I am not a kid who will be on his phone all day, I have a mentality of a good days wedge for a good days graft. I would want to learn as much as possible because I wouldn’t be content just labouring.More of an elderly improver, So I will give it a go, do any of you think I am too late . Old dog new tricks and all that.

go for it mate. @ 55 yous still got 15 + years to go. even if you stay as a sparks' mate, wages are decent.
Thanks for the encouragement mate,
Obviously a bit apprehensive, not the first time been laid off but don’t get any easier.

Go for it. I hope I have a fallback when I'm 55. I don't know what I'd do when we're all virtual reality simulations of ourselves in some avatar-based world and we don't need forums anymore.

Keep your contacts, and collect some more while you're being a sparks mate. It's a handy trade to be part of by the looks of it.

(I'm not a sparky by any means!)

i'm still at it at 72. knees and back permitting.
phwe good job i proof read that. originally said i'm still a ---.

Awww as if we've got you proof reading posts now!

Both my back and my knees have gone, totally not related to anything work wise (cartilage gone in knees and had them out, and back fractured a couple of years ago) so I'm knackard if I tried to start wall and floor tiling again. There's bob hope I could do that now. I'm 38. So I'm hoping forums are still a thing when I'm 65 lol

:D :D

You've got a nice chance really to get into it again there. I'd go for it. Sod printing. Don't know why libraries are still going. Their computer-end is archaic in my local libraries. And their books untouched. Paper has had it's day I think. :)

Mind you, a lot of printers I know have gone into van sign-writing, and as a result kinda vehicle wrapping and then a bit of detailing too. And that's a growing trade.

So you shape your business to fit what's going or just give it up and change yourself. There's no one sudden day anything happens with a business. Usually.

Hello everyone,
Just wondering your thoughts and welcome any advice.
Just been made redundant again from my original trade of printer which frankly is a dying trade. I did a 5 year apprenticeship in the early eighties which at the age of 55 now seems worthless.
In and out of the print trade over the years I regularly worked on site ceiling fixing for my uncles firm.
I worked a lot of nights on London Underground steel fixing and installing ceilings and panels over track and escalators etc.Running compartment trunking along platforms, using chem fix on threaded rod and many other things.Therefore I do have plenty of experience using tools etc and have gained certification necessary for that work on lul.
All have now expired except CSCS card.Have enquired about this kind of work, but jobs are scarce and based on who you know.
I have been offered a start as a sparks mate and doing a months trial. Obviously I am not a kid who will be on his phone all day, I have a mentality of a good days wedge for a good days graft. I would want to learn as much as possible because I wouldn’t be content just labouring.More of an elderly improver, So I will give it a go, do any of you think I am too late . Old dog new tricks and all that.
I’m 61 and still wanting to learn electrical is awesome

Awww as if we've got you proof reading posts now!

Both my back and my knees have gone, totally not related to anything work wise (cartilage gone in knees and had them out, and back fractured a couple of years ago) so I'm knackard if I tried to start wall and floor tiling again. There's bob hope I could do that now. I'm 38. So I'm hoping forums are still a thing when I'm 65 lol

:D :D

You've got a nice chance really to get into it again there. I'd go for it. Sod printing. Don't know why libraries are still going. Their computer-end is archaic in my local libraries. And their books untouched. Paper has had it's day I think. :)

Mind you, a lot of printers I know have gone into van sign-writing, and as a result kinda vehicle wrapping and then a bit of detailing too. And that's a growing trade.

So you shape your business to fit what's going or just give it up and change yourself. There's no one sudden day anything happens with a business. Usually.
Sound advice me thinks I am done with print.
I will certainly give it my best shot.Looking forward to the challenge.

Sound advice me thinks I am done with print.
I will certainly give it my best shot.Looking forward to the challenge.
Good luck, mate. Sounds like you've got a decent opportunity.
Common sense, fitness and an ability to learn are all at a premium in the trade, these days. If you've got the lot, onwards and upwards, regardless of age.

Hello all,
Have not been on here since starting out in October.Did not have much to contribute. Read and digested a lot of your encouraging advice and decided to go for it.
Just thought I would log in for a nose , now I’ve been working in the trade since September and started a full on course today and suddenly it’s all looking very daunting.
How did any of you feel when you set eyes on all those bloody books ?

Everything looks daunting when you get a whole pile of stuff dumped on you!

Its a bit like salami, you (probably!) would not try and force a whole one in your mouth in one go, but slice it and make east bite manageable. Just like the real world, academic exercises come down to the same aspects of taking manageable steps, applying previous knowledge, experience, and a logical process to getting towards the right answer.

Or acceptably good. In many cases good engineering is the art of compromise: it has to meet the minimum standards of safety and functionality, but beyond that you often will have more than one possible solution and then it comes down to other aspects of judgment and budget (and also a degree the ability to explain the options to the client so they can understand the pros and cons in order to make an informed judgment).

Hello all,
Have not been on here since starting out in October.Did not have much to contribute. Read and digested a lot of your encouraging advice and decided to go for it.
Just thought I would log in for a nose , now I’ve been working in the trade since September and started a full on course today and suddenly it’s all looking very daunting.
How did any of you feel when you set eyes on all those bloody books ?
I can't remember much....probably had my mind on the second floor more when I started at Tech....all the f***y in the hairdressing department.
Seriously, it'll get easier as you go along. As I mentioned, common sense and a will to learn goes a long way. There's always a way to figure things out. Make sure you understand things as you're going along...if not, ask.
Good luck....and if you get a bit stuck...always here to come:)

Just as ipf said - ask if in doubt. Folk here won't do your exercises for you but some are very willing to help anyone understand any aspects they struggle with.

Good to hear that you went for it Thommo and all is going well.
I wouldn't worry too much about all the books, You come across to me like a bloke who has their head screwed on the right way if you know what I mean !
Work your way into it gently and the more experienced and knowledgeable guys on here are great for helping out or giving hints on what direction to take when pondering over an issue

I can't remember much....probably had my mind on the second floor more when I started at Tech....all the f***y in the hairdressing department.
Seriously, it'll get easier as you go along. As I mentioned, common sense and a will to learn goes a long way. There's always a way to figure things out. Make sure you understand things as you're going along...if not, ask.
Good luck....and if you get a bit stuck...always here to come:)
Good to hear that you went for it Thommo and all is going well.
I wouldn't worry too much about all the books, You come across to me like a bloke who has their head screwed on the right way if you know what I mean !
Work your way into it gently and the more experienced and knowledgeable guys on here are great for helping out or giving hints on what direction to take when pondering over an issue
Thanks cloverman
I found today that I was doubting myself quite a bit.
Having done H&S courses for Cscs Lucas and ECS over the years I realised I knew most of the answers, but the c&g worksheets I was given seemed to be worded in a way that made me a bit apprehensive.
I struggled to find the words for the written answer.
I understand that the first exam in a couple of days is multiple choice, which should be more up my street . Just struggled with confidence today.
Thanks for your input much appreciated

Reply to Is too late to start . in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock