Discuss isolating fridge in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jolyonwag

DIY
Reaction score
Something is causing 1 bank or RCD (80A 30mA WRS80/2) to trip on consumer unit, intermittently. I think it may be the fridge freezer, but can't be sure. Is there a plug in unit (lower fuse rating) that I can insert between the fridge and the plug point that will trip before the consumer unit, so I can confirm the the fridge is the problem?

Thanks in advance for you help

This is the problem with split rcd boards , you can't plug the FF into the non rcd side to see if the tripping stops.
When I used to do re-wires under the 16th Ed we were allowed to put a single socket in for the FF as a designated supply. I miss those day

Something is causing 1 bank or RCD (80A 30mA WRS80/2) to trip on consumer unit, intermittently. I think it may be the fridge freezer, but can't be sure. Is there a plug in unit (lower fuse rating) that I can insert between the fridge and the plug point that will trip before the consumer unit, so I can confirm the the fridge is the problem?

Thanks in advance for you help
How often is the tripping occurring, if it is every 12 - 48 hours then it could be the auto defrost cycle on the fridge / freezer and the defrost element has failed
The only thing you could use to isolate the fault to the fridge / freezer is an isolating transformer if you used a plug in RCD on the output that would help to confirm the fault is on the fridge / freezer if it trips

If the cooker circuit happens to be on the "other side" of the board i.e. the other RCD, and the cooker plate has a socket on it, then a temporary extension lead to the fridge freezer could confirm it. If it still trips it's the only thing that's moved.... not ideal but works in some circumstances.

How often is the tripping occurring, if it is every 12 - 48 hours then it could be the auto defrost cycle on the fridge / freezer and the defrost element has failed
The only thing you could use to isolate the fault to the fridge / freezer is an isolating transformer if you used a plug in RCD on the output that would help to confirm the fault is on the fridge / freezer if it trips
Very intermittent. Happened on Friday night, then 3 times today!
Thanks for the info re the isolating transformer. I will definitely try that.

If the cooker circuit happens to be on the "other side" of the board i.e. the other RCD, and the cooker plate has a socket on it, then a temporary extension lead to the fridge freezer could confirm it. If it still trips it's the only thing that's moved.... not ideal but works in some circumstances.
Thats a great idea! I have a socket ring on the other side of the consumer unit that I could access via an extension cable. Then its a waiting game...

Simple Steps to Troubleshoot:
  1. Unplug Other Devices: Unplug everything else on the same circuit as your fridge-freezer (lights, TVs, etc.). This helps isolate the problem.
  2. Plug in Only Fridge-Freezer: Plug your fridge-freezer back in.
  3. Watch the RCD:
    • If it trips: Your fridge-freezer is likely the culprit.
    • If it doesn't trip: The problem could be with another device on that circuit.
What to Do Next:
  • If the fridge-freezer is the problem: You'll likely need a qualified appliance technician to fix the electrical fault within the appliance.
  • If the problem is on the circuit: You might need an electrician to identify further issues.
Important:
  • Turn off the power at the circuit breaker before unplugging or plugging anything in.
  • Don't use extension cords for a long-term solution.

Reply to isolating fridge in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net