Discuss Isolator & consumer unit fitted in meter box in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

we've done this on lots of installs. IT was cleared by the DNO on the first, after that I didn't bother. One was also for my annual inspection and didn't raise an eyebrow then either.
As is said elsweher, if your meter is in your house, what then? If it's in your garage, what then? It's no different with the meter box, it doesn't belong to the DNO so you can stick what you like in there as long as it doesn't interfere with their kit.

Yes / No / Maybe - there are extensive other threads on RCB's ... TL inverters TT / PME systems ...... :13:

With this one the AC 6mm T+E is running in wall chase in kitchen.

Needs 30ma RCD to comply with regs.

If you can get away with just a main switch and MCB this would be preferable.

If it was out the bottom of meter housing, up the gable end, into loft and into isolator, all in SWA. An RCD wouldnt really be needed would it?

No it wouldnt.

I am not too keen on cables on show, just being fussy I guess!

If the customer had let me put the cable in surface trunking I could also have ommited the RCD.

We recently fitted a system with the CU + Gen meter in the meter box as it was next to the front door of the property. Running the cabling internally was not an option as the building was only 2 years old and the disruption internally would have been too great (limited access above main CU in house in airing cupboard with massive hot water cylinder sat on top of tongue and groove chip board) nowhere inconspicuous to site a sub-board in the hall or nearby.

We ran SWA from the meter box round the outside of the house and located the inverter behind the property on a north facing wall. DC cabling and 10mm G/Y run in 25mm black PVC tube up the wall to the soffit, 25mm copex through roof space to a roof vent; Tidy.

I don't have a picture of the inside of the meter cupboard after the installation, but I was really pleased how it turned out. Not sure how a smart meter would fit into the equation as I do not know what the dimensions are; I must admit that I had not thought about it at the time, but there is some clearance in there. The rotary isolator is adjacent to the inverter at the rear of the house so just gen meter and small CU in meter box along with DNOs cut out.

Monty

Isolator & consumer unit fitted in meter box IMG_0948 - EletriciansForums.net

Thanks, being so new the roof was a pleasure to work on, there was even a spare roof vent for the cabling! Only downside was that every row of tiles had been nailed down!

Nice job IronLiver.

Smart meters are not massively bigger than most standard meters, apart from when comparing with the small types like the L&G 5235. Elster and Iskra 1ph Smart meters are about the size of a standard 3ph meter from a footprint point of view.

Thanks SibertSolar, I'll bear that in mind in the future. Does anyone know what the schedule is (if there is such a thing) for smart meter roll out in the SW, particularly in Somerset. Or does it depend on who the supplier is.

we're not really supposed to do it but its quite common and not a problem , its just the meter man over reacting.Its not their box anyway its yours!

Reply to Isolator & consumer unit fitted in meter box in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock