Discuss Isolator switchs for bathroom extractors in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Goody

-
Reaction score
Hi,

Isolator switches for the bathroom extractors, could they be in the loft rather than the unsightly position on the wall outside the bathroom? “Electrical Installers’ Guide to the Building Regulations” or the “Red Book” doesn’t say anything about their position.

Could someone shed some light on it.

Cheers!

if you are using an in line fan, then the loft is the correct and best position for the isolator. technically, it should be in line of sight of the fan, so you can watch that nobody turns it on while you are working on the fan. having said that, if it is in the loft, you can probably see if anyone goes up to the loft, so, IMHO, in the loft is ideal.

Normally have it on wall outside room so it can be turned off at night if one wakes and needs to make a call of nature, you dont have to then spend 15 minutes in bed listening to it.

I would say it would be a pointless excercise TBH, because if I was to go there to work on the fan and couldn't see an isolator in view, I wouldn't go up the attic to look I'd just turn the MCB off.

What about the "height" issue. I've also seen them very high up in bathrooms (even on the ceiling but not a pull switch) - doesn't contravene the "accessability" regulations?

Funny this one...i've always wondered why the isolators are needed. As Lenny has said if a proper spark was to be working on it (as should be) then you'd just turn the MCB etc off.

I've always fitted them above the door on the outside.

at the end of the day the isolator is provided for maintainance of the fan ,which can be switched off without isolating the lighting circuit ,the reason for this is if the area's are dark or have low level light it could be dangerouse for the house holder etc hence what ive said , positioning i normally install them above to door so they dont get confused with any of the other switches and can be seen clearly

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the input. I will put them in the loft to avoid an unsightly appearance on the fully tiled bathroom wall or outside the bathroom where the decor could not be messed up with.

Honestly, I don't feel a need for the fan isolators, if the safe isolation is taken care of when it comes to maintenance of these fans.

Cheers!

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the input. I will put them in the loft to avoid an unsightly appearance on the fully tiled bathroom wall or outside the bathroom where the decor could not be messed up with.

Honestly, I don't feel a need for the fan isolators, if the safe isolation is taken care of when it comes to maintenance of these fans.

Cheers!
the isolator is there for you to safely isolate the fan without killing the lights. bad enough working in the dark when you have no other choice

Reply to Isolator switchs for bathroom extractors in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net