Discuss Isolator when inverter is remote from consumer unit in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Andy78

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have never done PV but a customer has had a system installed and has a few issues with it, most of which are being sorted out.

I have a question, should an isolator be positioned next to the CU when the inverter is in the loft ? I have never seen one without, and had advice from other installers that yes it should, but the system installer's scheme says this is not needed.

Can anyone help give me the facts on this one stating any regulations that may require it ?

Don't think there is any specific location requirements for the a.c. isolator provided it is identified. Reg 712.537.2.2.1 just states one is required between the pv installation and public supply.

A microgenerator is a source of supply to the electrical installation .A main linked switch or linked circuit-breaker for this source must therefore be provided in a readily accessible posi on as near as practicable to the origin of the installation ,such
as adjacent to the consumer unit, as a means of switching off the supply on load and as a means
of isolation (Regulations 132.15.201, 537.1.4
and 551.2.4 refer). The switch or circuit-breaker must disconnect the line and neutral conductors (Regulation 537.2.1.1 refers).
Means must also be provided to isolate the microgenerator from the public mains supply, as required by Regulation 551.7.6. This must
be located at an accessible position within the installation as required by clause 5.2 of ER G83.

This is taken from the electrical safety council best practice guide.
All the pv I have seen has an isolator and meter fitted adjacent the consumer most likely easier that way To install.

Cheers guys, I had heard it was a requirement of other regulations, not BS7671 .... but I have no knowledge in this area.

No but it refers that it should be near as practical to the origin of the installation.
It’s from the best practice guide only and as I don’t dabble in pv a single if yet I felt it’s worth sharing what it says about this perticular thing.
I would say common sense says put it in a clear accessible position next to the pv meter with suitable clear labelling.

Would have no idea to be honest
I’ve installed a 4mm twin&earth supply on new builds before just ran the cable from the DB position into the loft with 3 meters next to the hatch.
Other people installed the isolation , invertor and meter and certification.
All I needed to do was install the cable and provide a B type 20amp MCB in the DB.
When I asked about if I needed a type A or B rcd the installer said that there was suitable electrical separation between the AC side and DC side of the invertor so DC sensitive rcd wasn’t required.
Having checked the regulations he was correct tho if he consulted the manufacturer or not I don’t know.

No but it refers that it should be near as practical to the origin of the installation.
It’s from the best practice guide only and as I don’t dabble in pv a single if yet I felt it’s worth sharing what it says about this perticular thing.
I would say common sense says put it in a clear accessible position next to the pv meter with suitable clear labelling.
I cannot see where it states an isolator should be near as practical to the origin of the installation with regards to pv isolation. I think a lot of people place it both ends.

Reply to Isolator when inverter is remote from consumer unit in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock