Discuss Issue with sockets/appliances help needed please in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The tumbler was old anyway so I decided to replace it and the washer and freezer have been running fine for 2 days, I actually bought another 4 gang 10m reel cable with safetey cut out and plugged them into that.

Today the new tumbler arrived which I plugged into the extension where the washer and freezer are plugged in and it's started to cut out again, I've now tried the new tumbler in the new extension by itself and it's cutting out.

Any idea what's going on? Thanks

Replacing items when you don't know they are faulty is stupid and expensive if it does not fix the problem.

I've also been assessing my son's plugs in his room, he's got 4 in one extension but they're TV, Q box and games consoles which I'm sure use little power so should be safe (I hope)

No problem with putting low power items into an extension lead.
My son has a TV, Xbox, PS4 and a TP-Link Powerline into an extension lead. (Not coiled up)

If you are interested in seeing how much current an extension lead is using the you could get something like this..

One has to ask why? It was still working. It could not have been for cosmetic reasons in a garage. I can't help but think you are trying to justify your mistake.

Throw away society rears its ugly head again.
I got rid maybe 6 months before I would have done because of this, yes it was a mistake but I'm not that bothered to be honest. My concern is safely managing the appliances I have now.

No, what I've said is thanks, I realise I need to organise getting some more sockets which I'll be doing however in the meantime what's my best option to use the washer and tumbler. I'm going to need to be using these tomorrow, I doubt sockets can be organised so quickly.

Never at the same time ...........

Just do as you suggested. Fridge on one socket and the other 2 on the other socket

I would pair the F/F with the washer and put the dryer on the other socket. The starting current of the fridge is high (maybe 10A) but the running current is probably less than an amp. That way, nothing will get significantly overloaded if the washer and dryer are used at once, proivded the installation is sound. The dryer has a continuous heavy load all the time it is running, the washer only when heating.

But yes, more sockets needed. Many extension leads sold in the high street have poor quality contacts that soon overheat and burn out with heavy loads. The contacts in decent wall sockets tend to be better made, so it's safer to plug heavy loads directly into the wall socket regardless of any overload situation.

I would pair the F/F with the washer and put the dryer on the other socket. The starting current of the fridge is high (maybe 10A) but the running current is probably less than an amp. That way, nothing will get significantly overloaded if the washer and dryer are used at once, proivded the installation is sound. The dryer has a continuous heavy load all the time it is running, the washer only when heating.

But yes, more sockets needed. Many extension leads sold in the high street have poor quality contacts that soon overheat and burn out with heavy loads. The contacts in decent wall sockets tend to be better made, so it's safer to plug heavy loads directly into the wall socket regardless of any overload situation.

Thanks, are you saying it would be ok to run the washer and fridge freezer at the same time on an extension? My plan in the short term was to run the FF in the wall socket (so it's permanently on) and the tumbler and washer one at a time on a short extension.

We use the washer daily so I don't want to be unplugging the FF every day whilst the washer is on.

I know the answer is more sockets but still not sure of the right combo of what to run where in the meantime now and what extension to get, I though a surge protection one would be good but someone sad that was a waste of money.

EDIT actually the tumbler won't reach the wall socket anyway, only the fridge does unless I have a major reshuffle

As has been previously mentioned, your socket may be damaged, cables overheated etc, you really need to get it checked asap. In the meantime FF and washer in one, tumbler in the other. Wiring safety check and extra sockets needed asap

I though a surge protection one would be good but someone sad that was a waste of money.

Surges don't generally happen in the UK. That's why we don't fit surge protectors in the CU unlike certain ares of France. Any big enough to damage a washing machine would not be stopped by a surge protector mains splitter. Surge protector mains splitters are a cause of random RCD trips.

Reply to Issue with sockets/appliances help needed please in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net