Discuss Issue with sockets/appliances help needed please in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

DIYfan

-
Reaction score
Hi, first post here, I've got an issue with my home electrics and need a bit of advice as to what may be causing it please. Bear with me as I know very little about electrics, anything more than wiring a plug or changing light fittings and sockets is beyond me.

So the issue is with appliances in the garage starting to blow fuses, the appliances being washer, tumbler and fridge freezer

They have all happily been plugged into a 4 gang extension cable in the internal garage for a few years, often all being switched on at the same time (fridge freezer constantly on, the others plugged in all the time and switched on when in use.
A few months ago the downstairs sockets went off and the fusebox switch had tripped and needed the switch flipping back on. I realised the garage appliances didn't come back on and I swapped the extension cable for a similar one (as I didn't have a fuse handy) The new extension worked fine, I assumed it was a blown fuse

Everything was fine until the other day when the same thing happened, extension cable fuse blown again.

I plugged in an extension I use for gardening(4 gang 25 m reel extension with safety cut out button) and plugged all 3 appliances into that and that tripped after 10 mins or so.

I reset and tried it in different sockets and it kept tripping so I ruled out the sockets and thought it must be a dodgy appliance.

I unplugged the tumbler and it seemed to sort it out, The tumbler was old anyway so I decided to replace it and the washer and freezer have been running fine for 2 days, I actually bought another 4 gang 10m reel cable with safetey cut out and plugged them into that.

Today the new tumbler arrived which I plugged into the extension where the washer and freezer are plugged in and it's started to cut out again, I've now tried the new tumbler in the new extension by itself and it's cutting out.

Any idea what's going on? Thanks

You have two large appliance running off an extension lead, you're overloading the lead causing the fuse to blow as they are not intended for this type of use. Please stop using this set up before you set fire to something.

You need to have these appliance running off separate socket outlets, what sort of power set up do you have in your garage? Separate fuse board or just a socket powered from your house socket circuit?

Hi, first post here, I've got an issue with my home electrics and need a bit of advice as to what may be causing it please. Bear with me as I know very little about electrics, anything more than wiring a plug or changing light fittings and sockets is beyond me.

So the issue is with appliances in the garage starting to blow fuses, the appliances being washer, tumbler and fridge freezer

They have all happily been plugged into a 4 gang extension cable in the internal garage for a few years, often all being switched on at the same time (fridge freezer constantly on, the others plugged in all the time and switched on when in use.
A few months ago the downstairs sockets went off and the fusebox switch had tripped and needed the switch flipping back on. I realised the garage appliances didn't come back on and I swapped the extension cable for a similar one (as I didn't have a fuse handy) The new extension worked fine, I assumed it was a blown fuse

Everything was fine until the other day when the same thing happened, extension cable fuse blown again.

I plugged in an extension I use for gardening(4 gang 25 m reel extension with safety cut out button) and plugged all 3 appliances into that and that tripped after 10 mins or so.

I reset and tried it in different sockets and it kept tripping so I ruled out the sockets and thought it must be a dodgy appliance.

I unplugged the tumbler and it seemed to sort it out, The tumbler was old anyway so I decided to replace it and the washer and freezer have been running fine for 2 days, I actually bought another 4 gang 10m reel cable with safetey cut out and plugged them into that.

Today the new tumbler arrived which I plugged into the extension where the washer and freezer are plugged in and it's started to cut out again, I've now tried the new tumbler in the new extension by itself and it's cutting out.

Any idea what's going on? Thanks
Do theses extension leads come on a reel, if yes are you using them still coiled up? no recommended. Where, in the UK are you based? Also using an extension for multiple appliances is also no recommended. A visit from an Electrician may help, buying and replacing stuff, is a false economy. Posting your location may illicit an offer of help from a Forum member.

Thanks, I've just done a bit of reading around the internet and it does seem I've been a bit naive here in running 3 big power items on the same extension. How the heck I've got away with it for years is amazing.
It's a normal double socket in the internal garage
I only have this one double socket in the garage and those 3 appliances, could/should I run a short 2 gang extension to run 2 appliances at the same time and have the other plugged in the wall?

Do theses extension leads come on a reel, if yes are you using them still coiled up? no recommended. Where, in the UK are you based? Also using an extension for multiple appliances is also no recommended. A visit from an Electrician may help, buying and replacing stuff, is a false economy. Posting your location may illicit an offer of help from a Forum member.
Yes the extensions I've started using are coiled up, I used to use the normal flat white extensions but they blew so only had the coiled garden extension 25m, I thought the safety cut off would be a good safety feature so bought a 10 m one too. I'm based in NE England

Thanks, I've just done a bit of reading around the internet and it does seem I've been a bit naive here in running 3 big power items on the same extension. How the heck I've got away with it for years is amazing.
It's a normal double socket in the internal garage
I only have this one double socket in the garage and those 3 appliances, could/should I run a short 2 gang extension to run 2 appliances at the same time and have the other plugged in the wall?
Would be a abetter option to have some extra socket outlets added, to avoid using extension leads.

Would be a abetter option to have some extra socket outlets added, to avoid using extension leads.
I'll certainly look into this however in the short term I'm going to try and get the fridge freezer turned so the cable plugs straight into the wall.
The washer and tumbler won't reach so would it be ok to get a short extension and run them one at a time so as not to overload things?

as the other old git says ^^^^^^. get an electrician to add 1 or 2 more sockets. (assuming the supply to the garage will handle the load.). the reason you've got away with it before is that maybe the appliances were coincidentally not all on heat cycle at the same time. bear in mind that washers and dryers each pull around 10A when heating.

If these appliances are also quite old they may well be drawing more current than they did originally as things start to wear out.

If these appliances are also quite old they may well be drawing more current than they did originally as things start to wear out.

Good point, the fridge freezer is over 10 years old, the washer about 3 years and the tumbler was well over 5 years, looks like I've replaced that for nothing though it was getting tatty

as the other old git says ^^^^^^. get an electrician to add 1 or 2 more sockets. (assuming the supply to the garage will handle the load.). the reason you've got away with it before is that maybe the appliances were coincidentally not all on heat cycle at the same time. bear in mind that washers and dryers each pull around 10A when heating.
I'll certainly look into this however in the short term I'm going to try and get the fridge freezer turned so the cable plugs straight into the wall.
The washer and tumbler won't reach so would it be ok to get a short extension and run them one at a time so as not to overload things?
Stop wasting Money and get your Garage sockets sorted, Agree with what the first old git said

was this our last night out, pete? when we picked up those 2 slappers?
Issue with sockets/appliances help needed please {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Whilst I'm here I may as well ask about another strange electrical thing I've had intermittently for a couple of years.

When I switch the garage light off it sometimes disconnects the sky Q box in the living room. Though I was going crazy but it definitely does it.
It doesn't put it into standby, the box still has the green light on but my TV brings up the "no source check connection" screen as though the box had gone into standby. I have to press the power button to actually put it in standby (yellow light) then again to put it back on for it to work again.

This only happens with Sky Q source and only when the garage light is switched off not on, it never happened when I had Sky HD and must happen 20% of the time, it also sometimes nearly does it, ie flickers if that makes sense.
I contacted sky but they're not really interested.
Thanks.

EDIT I've actually had the Q box swapped but no joy

https://www.screwflix..com/p/masterplug-13a-4-gang-switched-surge-protected-extension-lead-1m/1601g

Would that be acceptable to have the washer and tumbler plugged into if I only run 1 at a time?

I had a similar situation with a touch light switch and a TV.
Turning on the light, could cause the TV to change channel.
Standing between the switch and the TV prevented this.

I assumed the spark produced by using the switch, caused a burst of IR which matched the code from the TV remote to change channel.

If you have a medium wave radio, tune it into a weak Chanel and listen when you turn the light off.
You might hear a crack or a pop, this would suggest the light fitting (possibly an old fluorescent light) is generating some electrical noise that can cause strange thing s to happen with electronic devices and computers.

Reply to Issue with sockets/appliances help needed please in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock