Discuss Issue with sockets/appliances help needed please in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

https://www.screwflix..com/p/masterplug-13a-4-gang-switched-surge-protected-extension-lead-1m/1601g

Would that be acceptable to have the washer and tumbler plugged into if I only run 1 at a time?

You dont need a new extension lead. You need more sockets. Your problem is that your double socket is rated at 13A. I believe you said that the fuse in your orignal extension lead blew. That would have also been 13A. So basically you are still overloading your socket if you run all the appliances.

You dont need a new extension lead. You need more sockets. Your problem is that your double socket is rated at 13A. I believe you said that the fuse in your orignal extension lead blew. That would have also been 13A. So basically you are still overloading your socket if you run all the appliances.

Ah ok thanks. I think I'll be getting extra sockets but in the meantime what's the best way to manage a permanently running fridge freezer from one socket of the double and either a washer or a tumbler in the other, neither the tumbler or washer can reach the socket without a metre extension

This is the socket, standard double one says fenby on it, house is 18yr old Issue with sockets/appliances help needed please DSC_0027.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

If you have a medium wave radio, tune it into a weak Chanel and listen when you turn the light off.
You might hear a crack or a pop, this would suggest the light fitting (possibly an old fluorescent light) is generating some electrical noise that can cause strange thing s to happen with electronic devices and computers.

Thanks, it is a fluorescent light in the garage, this may explain it

i'm the handsome one.

The OP seems content in buying numerous extension leads, and new appliances, rather than spending his hard earned on employing a decent sparky to install some extra sockets, seems hardly worth trying to help some folk doesn't it, if they won't listen to the right advice?

The OP seems content in buying numerous extension leads, and new appliances, rather than spending his hard earned on employing a decent sparky to install some extra sockets, seems hardly worth trying to help some folk doesn't it, if they won't listen to the right advice?

No, what I've said is thanks, I realise I need to organise getting some more sockets which I'll be doing however in the meantime what's my best option to use the washer and tumbler. I'm going to need to be using these tomorrow, I doubt sockets can be organised so quickly.

in fairness, most ppl never really consider stuff like this. if its got space for 4 plugs why not put 4 plugs in it! just for clarity, the main problem here is that you were overloading your extension lead. however it should be noted that its considered good practice for each of these appliances to have its own socket. have you checked the power rating of each appliance? it might be overkill, but personally i would want to check the wiring at the back of that socket for signs of overheating.

To get full rating from extension reels they have to be fully unwound, plus many of them are rated at 10A only, even though many of those have 4 sockets on them.

Funny thread - old gits on steroids! To the OP, the answer is clear from previous posters get sockets added where they need to be. Choosing an electrician will ensure the current circuit is tested, safe and able. He/She will add the additional sockets needed. Everything will be tested and certified correctly.

No, what I've said is thanks, I realise I need to organise getting some more sockets which I'll be doing however in the meantime what's my best option to use the washer and tumbler. I'm going to need to be using these tomorrow, I doubt sockets can be organised so quickly.
Funny thread - old gits on steroids! To the OP, the answer is clear from previous posters get sockets added where they need to be. Choosing an electrician will ensure the current circuit is tested, safe and able. He/She will add the additional sockets needed. Everything will be tested and certified correctly.
Young git, but he is correct

Recently examined a garage where there was a freezer and a washing machine, both running off an extension lead plugged into the only, single wall-mounted socket. Chap wanted another socket so he could use his electric lawnmower and hedge trimmer without unplugging the freezer. OK, let's look at swapping that single for double...it was a metal-clad box fed via steel conduit. Took socket off, checked at CU, yup...1.5 t&e, under floor, out through an air-brick, into garage...
suggested he got an electrician in.

Most house holders I have come across would rather spend umpteen amounts of Pound coins replacing unwanted bits and bobs, rather than pay a Professional to sort their problems out, a false economy, and if I may be so bold a rather stupid approach to the problem, still as rt//the saying goes "you can lead a Horse to water, but you can't make it drink it, the Horse that is. Hi Ho Silver away.

Most house holders I have come across would rather spend umpteen amounts of Pound coins replacing unwanted bits and bobs, rather than pay a Professional to sort their problems out, a false economy, and if I may be so bold a rather stupid approach to the problem, still as rt//the saying goes "you can lead a Horse to water, but you can't make it drink it, the Horse that is. Hi Ho Silver away.

Most householders would probably be like me and not give much thought to what would overload an extension. It's got 4 holes it must be safe to use them all right? Well I've now learnt that's wrong and it's been an eye opener.

1 plug in 1 socket is always going to be the ideal way of doing things, I just didn't think 2 sockets and 3 appliances was going to be an issue, not even 3, just 2 at a time though 1 needs to be extended by a metre until I can organise some new sockets.

I've also been assessing my son's plugs in his room, he's got 4 in one extension but they're TV, Q box and games consoles which I'm sure use little power so should be safe (I hope)

Reply to Issue with sockets/appliances help needed please in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock