Discuss Issues discovered post completion and supply of building regs cert. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

Fieldy

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on what to do, I had my property re-wired this year and I'm making good as I go from room to room with the decorating. I have found some issues which I believe aren't really acceptable especially since the installer has inspected and tested the re-wire and provided me with the relevant paperwork.

In one upstairs bedroom two of the double sockets have knicks in the live wire inside the back box, which I have only discovered whilst plastering around the sockets. I now can't re-seat the sockets as one of the knicks is big enough to open up the ring main circuit, disabling all the upstairs sockets when screwed back into place. On the picture below you can see the cut in the live as it comes into the back box through the grommet.

I've already have issues with this electrician, and I'm reluctant to have him back in my house. However, I'm also concerned that this may require chasing out the making good I've had done and I'm also pretty reluctant to pay for replastering and another electrician to sort this. What would your opinions be on my course of action?

Thanks

Adam

Issues discovered post completion and supply of building regs cert. ima - EletriciansForums.net

Attachments

• Issues discovered post completion and supply of building regs cert. photo - EletriciansForums.net
    photo.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Issues discovered post completion and supply of building regs cert. image 2 - EletriciansForums.net
    image 2.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 17
Why are you reluctant to get the electrician back? What issues do you have with him? He should be the you should contact first.

Don't know if it's just because I've just got up, but your 1st paragraph is confusing me "open up the ring"? because of a large nick in the cable, if you could elaborate for me please, but if you are worried that much call him back, if he doesn't respond get in touch with his scheme presuming he is in one (NICEIC NAPIT etc)

Thanks for replying, I'm reluctant to get the same electrician back because quite frankly I've got no faith in his abilities. This is just another part of an ongoing saga.
The re-wire started on the 19th May, we'd had the majority of our furniture in storage and all floor coverings had been removed. They'd estimated 5 days for the works with 3 people there working on the job.
They weren't in a position to start the testing until 29th July, and then they discovered a fault with the incoming supply which due to the nature of dealing with UK Power Networks held up the completion until September 25th.

We had numerous issues with them whilst this took place, too many to go into here, but enough to not really want to call him.

In regard to 'open up the ring' what I'm trying to say is that the cut in the cable seems to be severe enough to create an open circuit on the ring main.

Sorry but you have to give him the chance first. Think of it as an official complaints procedure, you would go direct to original party, then if no joy go to management.

If you get no joy from the electrician, contact his scheme provider. NICEIC / NAPIT / ELECSA. You should have received a piece of paper from the local authority and the complaints procedure is stated on the back. The work is guaranteed by the scheme provider for 6 years (I believe) even if electrician goes out of business.

But please contact the electrician first, its his livelyhood on the line with what could be an apprentices mistake possibly

which scheme is the installing electrician with? you can make a complaint to his scheme. they should then investigate and either make him rectify any faults or engage another electrician to do so.

Start on the 19th May and began testing on the 29th July??

Thats a joke to begin with!

I wish it was a joke. It's a 3 bed semi that had nearly all the furniture out and all floor coverings removed. I've called the electrician but he's failed to respond to the voicemail so far.

I wish it was a joke. It's a 3 bed semi that had nearly all the furniture out and all floor coverings removed. I've called the electrician but he's failed to respond to the voicemail so far.
Put it in writing and possibly hand deliver it, if he fails to reply, you have a stronger case if he is in a scheme. Don't just rely on a voicemail, he might claim he never got it.

Put it in writing and possibly hand deliver it, if he fails to reply, you have a stronger case if he is in a scheme. Don't just rely on a voicemail, he might claim he never got it.

Absolutely. Write a letter, be polite and contain facts. Delivery by recorded delivery. Allow 10 days for response before going to scheme

Still no mention of scheme or paperwork, I see....was everything done above board?

Reply to Issues discovered post completion and supply of building regs cert. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock