Discuss Issues with wiring up a dimmer and switch for LED downlights in series in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mr Ziggy

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all

I am a newbie from Australia to this great forum.

I need some advise with wiring up a dimmer and switch for my LED Down lights in series.

I have run a mock up from the extension cord with some success. But still have issues.

The dimmer instructions diagram indicates one red connector from the dimmer to 1 on the switch and the other to the neutral wire connected at the inactive loop connection point.

I did that but still have issues as it hums when installed.
Here is the diagram from the manufacturer.
Issues with wiring up a dimmer and switch for LED downlights in series 1614643006696 - EletriciansForums.net

I have tried a few options but something is wrong.

I plan to run this set up in my man cave/shed rebuild in the near future.

The voltage is 240volts @ 15 Amps

The dimmer is a Diginet Rotary LED Dimmer
Issues with wiring up a dimmer and switch for LED downlights in series 1614643990408 - EletriciansForums.net

the downlights are

NLS 20094 | 13W DIMMABLE 3000K WARM WHITE LED DOWNLIGHT​

Issues with wiring up a dimmer and switch for LED downlights in series 20094 - EletriciansForums.net

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

It eating at me not being able to work out this maze.

Thanks in advance.

Mr Ziggy ?

Attachments

• Issues with wiring up a dimmer and switch for LED downlights in series 1614643343745 - EletriciansForums.net
    1614643343745.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 12
Hello.
It’s a bit of a fine art trying to dim LED lights, as not all are compatible with each other.

in your case, I think the dimmer is only rated at 12v, whereas your input voltage is 240vAC.
I’m afraid you’ve fried your dimmer. Surprised the humming noise isn’t smoke and crackles.

Hello.
It’s a bit of a fine art trying to dim LED lights, as not all are compatible with each other.

in your case, I think the dimmer is only rated at 12v, whereas your input voltage is 240vAC.
I’m afraid you’ve fried your dimmer. Surprised the humming noise isn’t smoke and crackles.
Thanks Littespark for the reply.

Could that be the case. You sparkies know better i guess.

On the specs it says:

Specifications - Diginet MEDM LED Dimmer​

Power Range2-400W (see data sheet below for details)
Voltage220-240 V AC

No where on the documentations does it say 12 volts.

I am puzzled.

School me on this please.

Look forward to learning heaps.

Mr Ziggy

also found this little write up that says:

"...So what we need to do to install the dimmer, is remove one of the switch mechanisms and put the dimmer into where it was. And just use your pliers to pop that out. As you’ll see, the dimmer just clips in nice and firm. You’ll see on the back of the light switch here there are a few different terminals. So the one in the middle there, that’s your common terminal, that’s where your permanent power supply goes. It’s always 240 volts....

Sorry, my mistake. I was reading 12v off the side of the dimmer in the picture.

Its early morning here, give me a break, lol.

In that case, have a look at your wiring diagrams.
your live feed goes to C of switch, then L1 of switch to input of dimmer.
Output of dimmer should then go to your light fittings, without being connected to the switch at all, separate connector.
Neutral from lights to neutral feed. Again, not connected to the switch itself.

The loop terminal on the switch could be used as one of these separate connections, as there’s no interconnection between it and the other parts of the switch.
There is no need to connect anything to L2, especially not the neutral.

Sorry, my mistake. I was reading 12v off the side of the dimmer in the picture.

Its early morning here, give me a break, lol.

In that case, have a look at your wiring diagrams.
your live feed goes to C of switch, then L1 of switch to input of dimmer.
Output of dimmer should then go to your light fittings, without being connected to the switch at all, separate connector.
Neutral from lights to neutral feed. Again, not connected to the switch itself.

The loop terminal on the switch could be used as one of these separate connections, as there’s no interconnection between it and the other parts of the switch.
There is no need to connect anything to L2, especially not the neutral.

ok
like what was shown in B
Issues with wiring up a dimmer and switch for LED downlights in series 1614673388222 - EletriciansForums.net

still does not dim nor turn of now .

Need help. ?

Mr Ziggy

Your dimmer is probably fried, connecting across L and N.
You have connected the light straight to incoming L feed.
Take the light connection out of C and put in a separate connector with the output of the dimmer.

Your dimmer is probably fried, connecting across L and N.
You have connected the light straight to incoming L feed.
Take the light connection out of C and put in a separate connector with the output of the dimmer.
Timbo
Thanks for you reply.

Just to get it clear, like this ??

Issues with wiring up a dimmer and switch for LED downlights in series 1614684858062 - EletriciansForums.net

No mate.
Both your diagrams were wrong.

The dimmer must not be connected to neutral. It is a switch like any other.
live in, and live out.
Connected between live and neutral, your dimmer has snapped, crackled and popped it’s way into the electronic afterlife.

Your the man ! ?

Its Black and White now, thanks for being so clear Timbo.

Have a great day buddy !

I learnt heaps ?

Reactions: DPG
So just to cap this off for others who might need it, it looks like this

Issues with wiring up a dimmer and switch for LED downlights in series 1614722336389 - EletriciansForums.net

Cheers
What a lovely day

Thanks again to Timbo and the crew at EF for the help !

Reply to Issues with wiring up a dimmer and switch for LED downlights in series in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock