Discuss Italian Espresson Machine plug conversion in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm seeking some advice on an overheating plug adaptor please. Complete amateur so please forgive any errors in calcs / assumptions / terminology. I've recently started using with an expresso machine in an Irish domestic environment (ultimately 230V 13A socket) but it comes with a two-pin plug type that I've attached in pic 1, which has 16 / 250 printed on it, I'm guessing rated to 16A / 250V. The machine "Total Power" is listed as 3.15kW and running at 230V (it also supports 400V in another configuration that is not in use). I'm assuming at 230V, 3.15kW requires max 13.7A. The machine takes about 15min to initially warm-up and thereafter turns on to reheat probably 1 minute every 10-15 minutes. I was using a 2 pin to 3 pin adaptor (pic 2) with it but noticed one of the pins slightly burned (pic 3). The adaptor is rated for 13A but I guess the machine pulls too high a current for too long a time resulting in the heat build-up. Is there an adaptor on the market that would better suit this purpose or would I be better off cutting off the existing plug and wiring the machine to a standard 13-amp 3-pin plug? If I did cut the plug (there's no warranty involved, old second-hand machine) and found there was no earth wire (I'm unsure of the standard of the original plug - it doesn't seem to be the schuko grounded plug type with the earth on the edge, though it does have what looks like a receiver for a earth pin in the earth pin position on a UK mains plug), would it be reasonable to assume the machine is double-insulated and doesn't require the earth pin connected or am I way off. The machine is configured in a cut-down (less heating elements connected) capacity which is apparently intended to be run on a 230V supply.

Grateful for any advice.

Kind regards,
Jim.

TL;DR
2 pin adaptor burned pin, new adaptor or replace plug

Attachments

• IMG_20220603_084309.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220603_153159.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220603_153220.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 11
If this is being used Commercially then I would prefer to see a 16A plug and socket being used.
the flex on the machine looks to big to suit a 13A plug.

The 'travel adaptor' you have is not really up to the job for this load
But the CEE 7/6 plug by ABB ought to be (not my field - Lucien please advise!), and should have an 'earth' connection.
You need a CEE 7/5 socket to plug it into, which I suspect is now effectively an obsolete product.
Or: FRENCH BELGIAN POLISH etc 230V WALL SOCKET OUTLET CEE 7/5 16A WHITE | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331956013236
no idea of quality!
Cutting the plug off as above seems the way to go!

PS it looks like you could take the top off the plug you have to check there is an earth connection, which I imagine for this sort of product would be required.

Last edited:
If this is being used Commercially then I would prefer to see a 16A plug and socket being used.
the flex on the machine looks to big to suit a 13A plug.
Thanks for the insights @James - it's just in domestic use though I am leaning towards getting a local electrician to wire in a new 16A socket for peace of mind.

The 'travel adaptor' you have is not really up to the job for this load
But the CEE 7/6 plug by ABB ought to be (not my field - Lucien please advise!), and should have an 'earth' connection.
You need a CEE 7/5 socket to plug it into, which I suspect is now effectively an obsolete product.
Or: FRENCH BELGIAN POLISH etc 230V WALL SOCKET OUTLET CEE 7/5 16A WHITE | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331956013236
no idea of quality!
Cutting the plug off as above seems the way to go!

PS it looks like you could take the top off the plug you have to check there is an earth connection, which I imagine for this sort of product would be required.
Thanks for that link, and taking the time to reply, it's nice to pin down the plug standard at least. Certainly I can have a look inside the plug (I didn't think of this being unscrewable - my bad) to see if there is an earth - changing to a standard 3-pin would be less pressure on the pocket than getting a 16A socket installed, though obviously safety pips cost in this area. I would have thought 13A isn't something that should be required anywhere near constantly, and that 13A sockets can tolerate some margin above 13A for short periods of time, but it's looking like getting a 16A socket would give the best option in safety terms. Would be interested in any other thoughts / pointers on this (though it's looking like the existing replies may have covered the options).

Because you are at the limit of the UK plug/socket rating, I think most here would recommend a higher rated connector.
But a good quality plug and socket (eg MK), and both need to be up to it, would 'work' as you suggest, especially given the reduction in average load after the machine has warmed up.
An alternative you might consider, if convenient, is to wire the machine directly into a fused spur, which would avoid any plug/socket contact resistance generating heat. Just the fuse (which will withstand the load).

Worth calculating what other loads are going to be on the same circuit, which might suggest a dedicated radial for the machine!

Because you are at the limit of the UK plug/socket rating, I think most here would recommend a higher rated connector.
But a good quality plug and socket (eg MK), and both need to be up to it, would 'work' as you suggest, especially given the reduction in average load after the machine has warmed up.
An alternative you might consider, if convenient, is to wire the machine directly into a fused spur, which would avoid any plug/socket contact resistance generating heat. Just the fuse (which will withstand the load).

Worth calculating what other loads are going to be on the same circuit, which might suggest a dedicated radial for the machine!
Thanks @Avo Mk8 very helpful detail. It's been interesting and pretty educational collating the feedback on this query and looks like as you say, a higher rated connector is warranted. I think I'll have to get in the queue for a local electrician and see if I can find someone interested in a small job. They're like hen's teeth at the moment. The fused spur might be a bit restrictive in terms of location, but the dedicated radial sounds like a very safe approach. Interestingly the trip hasn't been triggered, just the lightweight adaptor pin melted - the wiring is recent but I must have it checked over all the same.

Reply to Italian Espresson Machine plug conversion in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net