Discuss Its Been An Interesting Day........ in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Guest55

..........on the electricians forum.
Lots of "lively" discussions over on the wiring theories & regulations section lol.
I think we should just kick back this evening and chat about some less controvertial topics :-D

Anyways , anyone seen the new auto resetting rcds by gewiss ?? seems like a very interesting product with some clever technologies , you'll need a big CU though with it being 5 modules wide lol.
Anyone got their hands on one yet ?

I just googled it Biff, not sure whether I like the idea. One company I found promoting it used the holiday scenario, no power for security systems, fish tanks etc etc but surely if this thing is resetting itself every few minutes then eventually it's going to be damaged and stop working meaning if you're on holiday, no power for security systems fish tanks etc.

I just googled it Biff, not sure whether I like the idea. One company I found promoting it used the holiday scenario, no power for security systems, fish tanks etc etc but surely if this thing is resetting itself every few minutes then eventually it's going to be damaged and stop working meaning if you're on holiday, no power for security systems fish tanks etc.

Not so my friend , it will only try and reset 2/3 times after sending a tiny test pulse down the cable to see if the fault has cleared.
Although youre right about it having limited applications , still quite innovative IMO.

..........on the electricians forum.
Lots of "lively" discussions over on the wiring theories & regulations section lol.
I think we should just kick back this evening and chat about some less controvertial topics :-D

Anyways , anyone seen the new auto resetting rcds by gewiss ?? seems like a very interesting product with some clever technologies , you'll need a big CU though with it being 5 modules wide lol.
Anyone got their hands on one yet ?
me...contravesial?

suppose it's a good idea. better than linking the RCD out when you go away.

If it's only going to try a couple of times does it have a realistic application? I still don't think I like the idea and I'm not usually a Luddite

My Son just showed me a video on youtube from ted.com. It's about femto cameras which show you photons of light travelling in slow motion. Try it if you are feeling nerdy. Amazing stuff....

They are a clever idea, but something niggles and tells me there's summat wrong with the idea. If I knew what it was then there'd actually be a point to me posting this.

They are a clever idea, but something niggles and tells me there's summat wrong with the idea. If I knew what it was then there'd actually be a point to me posting this.

I think what's wrong is that it will be developed for military use. Being able to see around corners....very useful.

I think what's wrong is that it will be developed for military use. Being able to see around corners....very useful.
I'm guessing it's this one you're talking about:

http://www.electriciansforums.net/chit-chat-off-topic/61142-one-trillion-frames-second-camera.html

I think it's still many years from viable use on the ground however the applications even for military and civil use are wide and varied, not all are aggressive and it could potentially save many lives in bad situations.

I really don't see how automatic resetting RCDs will be much use for the miitary, but if they can see round corners I'm for it.
In fact I think I'll get two.

Isn't technology great, resetting RCD's. Whats next? C/U's with an autodialer that phones the spark too tell him what the problem is and he can then phone the customer.........you have a problem with your system when do you want me to come around!!! :tounge_smile:

Reply to Its Been An Interesting Day........ in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock