Discuss IT'S TOO HOT - A QUICK SOLUTION in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

marconi

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My wife has been complaining about the hot weather so I put together this 'evaporative air cooler' for her using a plastic storage box. Along the broad front side is a kitchen extractor fan and along the broad back side is a grid of 50 x 6mm holes. The 3 plastic containers contain ice bought from Iceland in 1 kg packets. The lid is on the left and will be sealed in place on top with decorator's tape. In use the top, bottom and left and right hand short sides are wrapped in a dust sheet to insulate the box (-of course not the front and back). It's not that energy efficient or economic but it has stopped her complaining about the hot weather today - a result then! It is not a solution for the long term just while our air conditioning is out of action today and tomorrow.

(There is a grille - not shown - over the fan impeller but I forgot to put it on before taking the photo.)

IMG_0077.JPG

My wife has been complaining about the hot weather so I put together this 'evaporative air cooler' for her using a plastic storage box. Along the broad front side is a kitchen extractor fan and along the broad back side is a grid of 50 x 6mm holes. The 3 plastic containers contain ice bought from Iceland in 1 kg packets. The lid is on the left and will be sealed in place on top with decorator's tape. In use the top, bottom and left and right hand short sides are wrapped in a dust sheet to insulate the box (-of course not the front and back). It's not that energy efficient or economic but it has stopped her complaining about the hot weather today - a result then! It is not a solution for the long term just while our air conditioning is out of action today and tomorrow.

(There is a grille - not shown - over the fan impeller but I forgot to put it on before taking the photo.)

View attachment 37966
Why not use the "Desert Cooler" system, a bail of straw, a supply af water and a fan, simple when you think about it.

I have never done anything over 35mm² my mind boggles at how the hell you even get the cable on site never mind laying it and as for bending it or getting on the second floor or higher......And what about stripping and terminating it? Impossible! But I know it isn't I have worked with guys who have and they describe machinery used to drag even bigger cables up ducts to the 20 th floor. My mind simply boggles.

To understand my wife you could take a look at this:

Smart is the New Sexy - https://m.------------/story.php?story_fbid=549386455409236&id=252205505127334&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.------------%2Fenjoy.science%2Fvideos%2F549386455409236%2F&_rdr

Pulling some 240mm 4 core underground tommorrow and contractor expects us to get it round a 90 degree bend with about a 600mm radius. Have explained that it won't work but he's adamant on us trying. A wasted morning tomorrow then and the ground workers will have to dig us another trench. Vortigen, I had to supply a single dishwasher (125A ) with 50mm 4-core SWA last week - I'm working sites but can't wait to build up a domestic client base where I don't have to wear PPE, there's half a chance of a free cuppa and you consider 10mm T&E the big stuff

i'm just wondering how you got the ice all the way from Iceland without it melting. i't a 4 hour flight from Reykjavík

This thread has me puzzled,why would your wife want to cool down ?

Send her to somewhere with a different climate,Wales, Scotland or even just a hour or so up the Motorway in England

Leave her there for a few days,let her experience what is a real British summer
She may return and welcome the heat and the tropical summers you always seem to have in London,she could even bring some of the cold rain home as a souvenir :)

Reply to IT'S TOO HOT - A QUICK SOLUTION in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net