Discuss I've created some new forum categories, we're not a UK-only forum anymore in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Supporter
Reaction score
As you're already aware, we're not hosted on a .uk domain name anymore. We are now ElectriciansForums.net (that's .net). I've created some forum categories to match where we are getting traffic from:-
When we were hosted on a .co.uk, we wouldn't have shown up in Google.com much if at all. So only people searching from within the UK would have got the chance to visit our awesome electrical forum.

Now we're on a .net, we're showing up in all Google results globally, so we will be having a lot of visitors, and eventually members, from outside the UK.

We aren't a UK electrical forum anymore. Please don't put off members from other countries. They are more than welcome to register, post a thread, and wait for another person from the same country to find it and respond to it.

You don't need to reply to it telling them we are a UK forum. It comes across as very unwelcoming and isn't what we're about.

Eventually there will be categories for the countries we get most of our traffic from, and the members wont mix too much in the general forums.

Until then, there will be some threads posted by members who aren't in the country you are in. So just don't reply if you can't help them.

This is a nice chance for those who wish to gain a bit of knowledge of how other countries work, and open your eyes a bit perhaps.

The UK is a tiny island and whilst those who live in it want to cut it off the earth and let it float on its own somewhere, at the moment we're part of the world.

So please please don't put off other members just because they're not from the same country as you. It's fairly obvious when they're posting which country they reside. So just stay away from threads where your advice is limited - just like any other thread you'd stay away from when it includes information you know nothing about.

I hope you all understand that. :)

Be welcoming to everybody.

This is quite a challenging concept. My expectation is, as you have hinted at yourself, that it will probably have to work as separate forums for different countries with minimal common ground between them. Although electrons are the same everywhere, there are so many differences in detail of how they are put to work under different national standards that it can be treacherous giving advice to someone overseas.

Some questions are impossible to answer or even understand without local knowledge, which makes them fairly foolproof. Legitimate requests from the US, for example, sometimes read to a British electrician like: 'Can I zarquon the glopper so that the roogalator flunks the zunk?' In which case there won't be much transatlantic advice given, correct or incorrect.

More insidious are the ones that make sense but the right answer depends on the locale. Ask the average British spark; 'Is the black wire neutral in old wiring?' and the instinctive response will be 'Yes'. That would be correct in the UK and Australia but incorrect in the US and Canada, where it is live (or rather, hot). Of course on an internet forum, we can't hear the accent of the speaker, so it becomes vitally important to note the location in which the advice is to be used before answering anything at all, even the simplest question.

That is where I think people will trip up. A simple question with an 'obvious' answer, that turns out to be misleading or wrong in the OP's locale.

Once we have content from each country, I can only show threads for the country you're registered as from.

Then have some mixed forums. As people will want to share knowledge and find differences.

You leave that bit to me. That's why I'm here. :)
For the time being we have flags showing next to avatars. Are you seeing them?

Perhaps I need to check usergroups.
[automerge]1566773540[/automerge]
@Lucien Nunes can you see the country flags by usernames? And in forum categories etc?

I've created some new forum categories, we're not a UK-only forum anymore Screenshot_20190825-235042 - EletriciansForums.net

[automerge]1566773640[/automerge]
And in the what's new page.

I've created some new forum categories, we're not a UK-only forum anymore Screenshot_20190825-235304 - EletriciansForums.net

[automerge]1566773672[/automerge]
Should be fairly obvious where a member is from and where they are requiring advice for.

Last edited:
Walking blindfolded in to a mine field springs to mind.

BS7671 is advisory. NFPA-NEC is statute.

In the UK we don’t have AHJ inspectors, mores the pity, LBC is a very poor comparison.

Be careful about advice on American installations.

Never met a yank that didn’t already know everything about everything anyways.........Only joking chaps :tearsofjoy:

Country Flags Thread - also touches on Thread Prefixes for when you're on holiday or somebody doesn't wish to show their tags publicly.

Country Flags Thread - also touches on Thread Prefixes for when you're on holiday or somebody doesn't wish to show their tags publicly.
Does that mean that when Tel's on holiday and posts from his villa in Spain it shows up a Spanish flag? We will all know when we can go round and nick his wheels.:D

Does that mean that when Tel's on holiday and posts from his villa in Spain it shows up a Spanish flag? We will all know when we can go round and nick his wheels.:D
Yes matey.

Hence the ability to turn off flags here: https://www.electriciansforums.net/account/privacy

We risked some trouble between UK flags and Republic of Ireland flags for people who live near the border too. So those can turn their flag off also.

People who know how, can also your a VPN to show a UK flag when they are on holiday. Which is what I will do, so that I can keep the tag active and not turn it off.

You can't say we're mixing up content and it gets confusing really. Not with flags and prefixes and generally the members saying in their profile where they are from etc.

Look at this.

I've created some new forum categories, we're not a UK-only forum anymore 1566820656907 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
While I might have some vague interest on how they provide a supply for a hot tub in the US, or if they run cables in cavities in Mexico, or whether the French earth/bond cable tray, it would be only a passing moment.

When I do use this great forum @Dan, I generally go to the ‘What’s New’ tab. But now it seems I have to skip through stuff, I’ve no interest in. Would a country specific What’s New’ tab, be a possibility?

Yes, Dan, I can see the flags. But so can people who frequently post confusing advice for other countries that they don't know about, yet they continue to post it. Limiting access to forums other than your own country of registration is a possibility, however it will block out useful knowledge on things that are globally standardised. For example, one of my fields is electronic power supplies and any advice I give on those would be equally valid anywhere in the world. Some of us also have experience of multiple national standards and therefore can give useful advice while knowing our limitations.

I do hope it can be made to work, it will be great if you can tune things up to give just the right amount of international post 'filtration'.

While I might have some vague interest on how they provide a supply for a hot tub in the US, or if they run cables in cavities in Mexico, or whether the French earth/bond cable tray, it would be only a passing moment.

When I do use this great forum @Dan, I generally go to the ‘What’s New’ tab. But now it seems I have to skip through stuff, I’ve no interest in. Would a country specific What’s New’ tab, be a possibility?
You don't want to be going through posts from other countries may be a tab so that you can choose a country first.
Yes, Dan, I can see the flags. But so can people who frequently post confusing advice for other countries that they don't know about, yet they continue to post it. Limiting access to forums other than your own country of registration is a possibility, however it will block out useful knowledge on things that are globally standardised. For example, one of my fields is electronic power supplies and any advice I give on those would be equally valid anywhere in the world. Some of us also have experience of multiple national standards and therefore can give useful advice while knowing our limitations.

I do hope it can be made to work, it will be great if you can tune things up to give just the right amount of international post 'filtration'.

We are at the very early stages.

I can do all of the above. But the changes I make will be for the forum as a whole. I love it when people start suggesting a button somewhere that would work for them. But don't think about the forum as a whole.

Leave it with me. I wont be taking suggestions quite yet. When I do, I'll let you guys know.

I'll keep you posted. :)

Thanks for understanding that we're not just all UK now. :)

Yes matey.

Hence the ability to turn off flags here: https://www.electriciansforums.net/account/privacy

We risked some trouble between UK flags and Republic of Ireland flags for people who live near the border too. So those can turn their flag off also.

People who know how, can also your a VPN to show a UK flag when they are on holiday. Which is what I will do, so that I can keep the tag active and not turn it off.

So, you will be using a geolocation service to determine where somebody is posting from - yes?

Do I understand this correctly?

And if so, then surely it makes much more sense and makes for much less confusion if the flag that you display is based on the country that the poster declared when they registered with the forum, and not on where they happen to be at the time that they make a post?

So, you will be using a geolocation service to determine where somebody is posting from - yes?

Do I understand this correctly?

And if so, then surely it makes much more sense and makes for much less confusion if the flag that you display is based on the country that the poster declared when they registered with the forum, and not on where they happen to be at the time that they make a post?
Yup. Using Geo-data.

Nobody declares where they are from when they register, it doesn't ask them. :D

And people move around. We've been online since 2006. I've moved countries and back in that time.

We've gone waaaaay past this thread now matey. But thanks for your input anyway.

Reply to I've created some new forum categories, we're not a UK-only forum anymore in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock