Discuss I've had 2 honywell programer freeze up I replaced the first one now it's happened again any ideas in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've had 2 honywell programer freeze up I replaced the first one now it's happened again any ideas

Welcome to the forum mate.
Please can we have a bit more info.
What is the model number of the Honeywell item?
How long did the original item last?

Welcome to the forum mate.
Please can we have a bit more info.
What is the model number of the Honeywell item?
How long did the original item last?
Sorry fella just wanted to register and start question, it's an st9400c the first one lasted about 2 weeks, and this one has again lasted 2 weeks. before the first one froze the screen went back to the default date 1/1/2019 and the time was 12:10am both heating and hot water on auto but no responce.
The 2nd one froze but this time it held the date 27/11/2019 but the date is stuck on 5:00am with both again on auto but not responsive, thank you for your reply
[automerge]1575063133[/automerge]
Are you talking about a wireless one or wired
It's the wired one it's quite local to the boiler which is a gravity feed one it's on an s plan system with a fairly new mega flow cylinder clearly its getting some sort of surge its on a 20amp type b radial circuit with one other socket this circuit is protected on a 16th edition hagar split load board protected by a 30ma rcd, the boiler circuit is fused via a 3amp 1362 fuse in the switched fused spur, nothing has tripped no fuse has blown. The original programer that the first honywell had replaced was an old horstman 2 chanel programer and the only reason the customer wanted it changed was because they were struggling to see the clock and really wanted an illuminated display because it was in a dark cupboard, I've fault found on many heating circuits in the past but really stomped on this one, thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:
It's my main goto programer I've never had any problems a bit concerned that I fit a different make and the same thing happens again I've left it out of circuit at the mo the customer can use the room stat to regulate heating and the water is temporarily controlled by tank stat, if I don't find another answer I will maybe consider putting in a more traditional analog 2 channel programer
[automerge]1575102297[/automerge]
Change to a different make the Honeywell ones have dodgy batches sometimes in my experience not great but there you go
Thank you for the advice I may well have to do that just wondered if it had happened to someone else who had solved it by finding a faulty valve or something

I did a bit of research on line and the st9400c has a history of failing after a period of time. Often it is down to a failure of an internal capacitor in series with the line supply to the electronics acting as a low heat voltage dropper. The capacitance reduces over time which increases its reactance and the volt drop across it which reduces the voltage available to operate the electronics and the two relays and the back light, especially as the total current demand increases (- think terminal voltage drop because of internal resistance of a battery as the current drawn from it increases).

If you press and hold the + button for 8 seconds you should see the display alternate between date code and check sum a few times and then return to normal. With this information you can contact Honeywell and get a free replacement - apparently. Batch numbers affected are 1037 to 1139.

Support - Honeywell Home Heating Controls - https://heatingcontrols.honeywellhome.com/contact/

See a evans post in:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esc1nnYHxDM

Last edited:
Thank you for that that's really interesting I'll check that tomorrow,
I did a bit of research on line and the st9400c has a history of failing after a period of time. Often it is down to a failure of an internal capacitor in series with the line supply to the electronics acting as a low heat voltage dropper. The capacitance reduces over time which increases its reactance and the volt drop across it which reduces the voltage available to operate the electronics and the two relays and the back light, especially as the total current demand increases (- think terminal voltage drop because of internal resistance of a battery as the current drawn from it increases).

If you press and hold the + button for 8 seconds you should see the display alternate between date code and check sum a few times and then return to normal. With this information you can contact Honeywell and get a free replacement - apparently. Batch numbers affected are 1037 to 1139.

Support - Honeywell Home Heating Controls - https://heatingcontrols.honeywellhome.com/contact/

See a evans post in:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esc1nnYHxDM

Sorry I am only skim reading but surely you can take the prog out of the scenario either by putting to permanently on or shorting out live and switch live and then you can see if it cuts out.

F17 is displayed when there is a problem with the water supply valve so insufficient water is going to the condenser to cool the vapour from the wet washing.

Reply to I've had 2 honywell programer freeze up I replaced the first one now it's happened again any ideas in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net