Discuss I've nicked a wire...is it safe? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have a wire from a light switch that is on the outside of the wall.
I want to put the wire Inside the wall and move the light switch before I overboard it.
Whilst drilling the holes in the wall to push the wire through I've nicked the wire.
Nothing went bang and it didn't trip the consumer unit, the lights just went out after I started tugging on the wire.
Thought I had a loose connection at first from tugging on the wire so I undid everything but it was all tight and in place.
Then I noticed the exposed wire. It's only tiny. I wrapped some electrical tape around it and now the lights work again.
My question is...is this safe to wrap electrical tape around and then push into the wall or does it need a whole new cable??
Many thanks.

Attachments

• 20210822_133549.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210822_133449.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all.
I have a wire from a light switch that is on the outside of the wall.
I want to put the wire Inside the wall and move the light switch before I overboard it.
Whilst drilling the holes in the wall to push the wire through I've nicked the wire.
Nothing went bang and it didn't trip the Co sumer unit, the lights just went out after I started tugging on the wire.
Thought I had a loose connection at first from tugging on the wire so I undid everything but it was all tight and in place.
Then I noticed the exposed wire. It's only tiny. I wrapped some electrical tape around it and now the lights work again.
My question is...is this safe to wrap electrical tape around and then push into the wall or does it need a whole new cable??
Many thanks.

You have nicked the copper wire when drilling. You may have broken it fully and that is why the light went out. When you taped it back up it may have made a poor connection, but worked. This is not good as the poor connection will get hot.
If you don't want to replace the whole cable you may be able to cut the cable where you drilled it and add a junction box in place. If the junction box are screw terminals then make use you can get to them, for maintenance. Or you could fit a "maintenance free" junction box.
Post a wider pic of where the cable is and what is around it.

I think you need to properly joint the cable or replace it, just taping it up is not a suitable repair

It's a bit hard to tell from the camera angle, but if that is 1.0 or 1.5mm Twin and Earth (usually would be for lighting) then getting hold of a Quickwire junction box would be the simplest / easiest and quickest fix.

If it has 3 cores, or is 2.5mm T+E this option won't work, probably a wago box and wago connectors is easiest.

as all above.a safe repair or a cable replacement is the only option. binding with tape is for the S&M establishment.

Reply to I've nicked a wire...is it safe? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net