Discuss I've wired a rose wrong! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I hope someone can help. I should have taken a picture of the old fitting but as it was 3 wires I thought it'd be okay. In the picture you can see I have the black and blue together, the connections marked 'loop' are empty, red and brown are together and earth goes to the rose.

My problem is that when the power goes back on the light won't switch off, I have tried changing the wall switch but it's the same.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Rose.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 53
Is that all that was there?

it sounds like that is only a live feed where it should be a switchwire.

is there another light in the room?

Reactions: DPG
That's all that was there and it's the only light in the room, my problem is that the previous light worked fine, I should have paid more attention as this won't switch off, Thanks @littlespark.

How many wires at the light switch, just a black and a red?

As in #2 there must be a missing cable at the rose.

If you have changed the switch, that would appear to eliminate the switch contacts being welded together permanently on, so I am wondering:

(a) is the light is connected between permanent L & N, and the switch drop cable has vanished into the ceiling void?
(b) is there is a junction box in the ceiling void that has been disturbed?

Is this light downstairs with no access to the cables above the celing, or upstairs where you can look in the loft?

It doesn’t add up that the old rose worked fine.
Can only be that there’s a second t&e in the ceiling that wasn’t noticed.
If there’s a loose connection anywhere, such as a joint box, the light would be off.

Thanks for all the help so far, after work tomorrow I'll take the rose off and make sure I didn't miss a wire but there is a red, black and green\yellow going to the rose.

The previous light wasn't a rose (I really wish I'd paid more attention!)

I'll see if I can access it from above, it's an upstairs bedroom but the attic is carpeted, (I've not looked underneath yet!)

If there’s a joint box in the attic, it won’t be too far from the hatch, but who knows what’s happened to the wiring in an older house.

Hi all, Thanks for all your help. This evening I removed the rose to double check the wires, there were only 3. As I had a spare rose I changed that and now it switches on and off. Never known a rose to be faulty but I haven't changed that many. Thanks again.

• Optimistic
To me the old ceiling rose was not faulty, it doesn't seem possible from what was happening. If you had no light then may be but it was functional. May be an idea to get it checked out by an electrician.

Thanks for the advice Westward, I agree with you but I don't know why the new rose worked unless it was faulty or I made a mistake. (I'm a novice so most likely me). I will get it checked over by someone qualified. Thanks again all.

Reply to I've wired a rose wrong! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net