Discuss Japanese Style Toilet Electrical Supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S P

-
Reaction score
Evening chaps,

I have to connect a new toilet (before anyone says it, for a client with more money than... sense/toilet roll?)

Before seeing it I presumed SFS on a RCD protected circuit, however it comes with a pre-fitted molded plug and integral 10ma rcd unit further up the factory fitted lead.

My thoughts are I could install a socket although unconventional as it is in a WC separate from the bathroom (location containing a bath or shower doesn't apply as per the regs) However this has got me thinking of the same situation if it were in the main bathroom... What would others do?

A socket is not allowed (unless some unlikely distance) so...
1) Cut the plug and wire direct to SFS (may invalidate warranty, although same as appliances if installed by a professional to SFS accepted) - This has the potential of the RCD unit built into flex being ''buried into some form of boxing by some one who gives no Shits.
2)Cut cable before RCD or get into guts to replace with one long enough to reach SFS and wire direct to SFS either 30ma or circuit 30ma protected.
3)Is there a 10ma SFS on the market?? I've had a quick look and MCB style is all I found..

Plug cut and wired to SFS is one thing, but by reducing protection from 10-30ma am I in breech of installing to manufacturers instructions?

Unusual but looking forward to hearing constructive debate, few jokes allowed!

but it's only a bog, not a bathroom, so special location regs. don't apply

Spoon - supplier??

Looks like it's Green Brook Electrical. Give them a ring.... Not now of course, they will be sleeping... :)
I just Googled 10ma fused spur and they came up.

What model is it? RSoL YP 2000? (you'll have to try hard to get that one...;))

I would check the standards that the 10mA device applies to,and however it is connected,i would be using a circuit protected by a standard 30mA rcd,accepting there is no discrimination.

I reckon the manufacturers will whinge about "removal/reduction of fitted safety feature" if you take off the supplied device,but would not have an issue with removal of the plug-top,to enable connection to a FCU or similar.

Just treat the install as you would a similar accessory,such as a macerator,and always remember the golden rule of "the customer has first use" :)

I thought the golden rule was, ‘if you use it first, don’t tell the customer because the golden rule is customer has first use’ - that’s what I’ll stick to!

I thought the golden rule was, ‘if you use it first, don’t tell the customer because the golden rule is customer has first use’ - that’s what I’ll stick to!
Nah, the golden rule is If its yellow let in mellow, if its brown then let it drown.

Nah, the golden rule is If its yellow let in mellow, if its brown then let it drown.
That’s in your own gaff - a newly fitted toilet needs to have the colour of mineral water - without the bubbles!

Short toilet etiquette story...
Our first property,which we still have,needed several jobs doing for the mortgage retention,and,one was a small section of wall to be injected,DPC wise.

One Saturday morning,a large,stuttering chap turns up,still visibly bearing the weight of a heavy night out,and proceeds to stumble through the task.

I cannot take anymore of his silent-movie slap-stick,and go to fetch some dinner. I return half an hour later,he's gone,all the gear is out...no sign of him...no answer when rung.

I return on the Monday,i visit the outside loo,which is the only toilet present,and it is decorated in and out,cistern too...like a giant walnut-whip has exploded :eek:

Flush handle was on the floor.

No return to my calls,and two months later,i flirt the pump and 25 litres of silicone fluid,at a car boot sale :rolleyes:

Funny,but it is the event i remember,every single time,i use another persons ablutions.

@PEG I have read this 10 times but I cannot fathom its meaning - I will not sleep without it explained;
“No return to my calls,and two months later,i flirt the pump and 25 litres of silicone fluid,at a car boot sale :rolleyes:
14 times now - still nothing!

Reply to Japanese Style Toilet Electrical Supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net