Discuss JIB approved issue in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

the sparky

Hi All,

i have done a full apprenticeship nvq 3 city and guilds etc... and was qualified in 2003.

in 2006 i done a 2377 course which enabled me to become an approved elec. as from last year this has now be stopped, 2391 is only accepted from the jib to become an approved now.

as i done my course (2377) in 2003 and had a letter which i still have stating my grading has been changed to an approved dated in 2003. BUT!!

I called the jib few days ago to get my jib card as i never did get one (yes its been a few years) and they said my grading was only an electrician!!!!. now ive been paid as an approved since i was graded as an approved (2006) she said i was graded as an electrician in 2006:confused:

i can see how the problem has come about even though i got a letter saying its all been changed my grading was never done so i just wonder could they take my approved grading away from me even though i have a letter stating i have be "upgraded"?

sorry its a little long but just wanted to make it loud and clear.

thanks for any help

Hi All,

i have done a full apprenticeship nvq 3 city and guilds etc... and was qualified in 2003.

in 2006 i done a 2377 course which enabled me to become an approved elec. as from last year this has now be stopped, 2391 is only accepted from the jib to become an approved now.

as i done my course (2377) in 2003 and had a letter which i still have stating my grading has been changed to an approved dated in 2003. BUT!!

I called the jib few days ago to get my jib card as i never did get one (yes its been a few years) and they said my grading was only an electrician!!!!. now ive been paid as an approved since i was graded as an approved (2006) she said i was graded as an electrician in 2006:confused:

i can see how the problem has come about even though i got a letter saying its all been changed my grading was never done so i just wonder could they take my approved grading away from me even though i have a letter stating i have be "upgraded"?

sorry its a little long but just wanted to make it loud and clear.

thanks for any help

How nice of them to move the goalposts when it suits them.:mad:

I'm renewing mine at the moment when i got the card initially I was graded as electrician, I wanted to apply straight away for approved electrician because I had the 2391 but I wasn't old enough to qualify for it 23 I think you had to be, now it's changed on there website to no age requirement just have to have the 2391 or equivalent they just keep changing rules left right and centre. If you are a member of the NIC or ECA I think they said yesterday on the phone that you can get them to sign you off as an approved electrician as you have met their requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:
well the thing is they havent done it yet but was just getting ready as my lucky is rubbish when this sort of thing happens.

& they shouldn't do it either, if you have a letter already stating that your approved then you'll be fine,
it must be for the newly qualified electricians.

If you are a member of the NIC or ECA I think they said yesterday on the phone that you can get them to sign you off as an approved electrician as you have met their requirements.

Mad as a box of frogs :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I had the same problem. I never got my technicians grade approved despite all certificates
and documents. They din't approve my 2377 either, although it is a level 3 C&G.
The 2381 and 2391 were approved though.:confused:

2377 is the PAT qualification

2391 is testing & inspection which you needed for approved not 2377 that is why you where never graded as an approved electrician in 2006.

As ian.settle1 has said 2391 was always required for Approved Electrician grading.

In response to whoever mentioned age being a factor, that was simply that as well as holding 2391 you must also be at least that age OR have held Electrician grading for a period of two years. Now you must hold 2391 and have held Electrician grading for two years (without an exemption based on age). As such, there was never anything to stop anyone below that age being regraded if they met the criteria.

Hi all,
I know that 2377 is PAT testing, but they didn't approve that either on the card. When I rang them
up their excuse was: the certificate doesn't say City and Guilds 2377, it says City and Guilds in
Inspecting and testing of electrical appliances. :confused:
Now what.

I remember the initial application for a JIB card was returned to me a couple of times, there was
always something else missing which wasn't mentioned on the application form.:eek:

I leave it as an Electrical fitter with 2381 and 2391. So far nobody really wanted to see the card anyway.

2377 is the PAT qualification

2391 is testing & inspection which you needed for approved not 2377 that is why you where never graded as an approved electrician in 2006.

sorry but your wrong.:p

up until last year the 2377 was reconised as a test and inspection city and guilds.

if you have an old leaflet (small white one) look at the approved part and its black and white. 2377 or 2391!!

if the 2377 never gave you an approved why did i recieve a signed letter from the JIB stating i was an approved?????

Totally disagree

See following link

JIB Grading Definitions - Approved Electrician Grade

2377 is an inspection and testing qualification for portable appliances not fixed installations which you need for approved grading.

I have to agree with Ian.For many years the JIB gold card for approved electricians reffered to the 2391 has being the required qual for approved definition.

2377 shouild not get you approved status, if it did its an admin error they have now picked up on, sorry. :(

Hi all,
I know that 2377 is PAT testing, but they didn't approve that either on the card. When I rang them
up their excuse was: the certificate doesn't say City and Guilds 2377, it says City and Guilds in
Inspecting and testing of electrical appliances. :confused:
Now what.

I remember the initial application for a JIB card was returned to me a couple of times, there was
always something else missing which wasn't mentioned on the application form.:eek:

I leave it as an Electrical fitter with 2381 and 2391. So far nobody really wanted to see the card anyway.

Stef,

Im not sure they really know what they are doing at the jib!dont think they are being trained up enough ..iv got the 2377 on my card, it seems every time i re-new my card there's a mess up,this time they missed/messed 4 things lol

Hi all, I applied for a JIB card about 3 weeks ago I sent copies of 16th 17th and 2391 certs and my safety passport, I am a self employed electrician i also sent several references from electrical companies I have done work for. In addition on the form it says other qualifications so I sent qualifications from when I was a ships radio officer MRGC/GMDSS/Radar Sat Comms.

I rang them yesterday after receiving a letter from them asking for my safety cert which they later found and said this is ok ccnsg safety passport. In the end I was told they cannot grade me and it will have to go to head office when I asked why, they said a labourer could get these qualifications which i thought was a very strange thing to say. I said anybody could if they put in the effort and work.
I thought that was a very strange thing to say. I said to them to disregard my telecom/radio qualifications and just grade me on the electrical if that was a problem so I dont know if I will get a card or not.
cheers :confused:

Reply to JIB approved issue in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net