JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) JIB approved?

Discuss JIB approved? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

gazzaabc

Another jib enquiry to what Is actually required to become approved? I've been trained to 17th edition I qualified 2 years ago and have my nvq3 am2 etc. I've just taken the 2395 but ive been told by someone who apparently called the jib and enquired, that u can't be approved unless u have 2395 and 2394?? Is this true?

The jib site says the person must obtain a suitable testing qualification but doesn't mention 2391 or 2394-5 etc

Sick of the jib and their nonsense , they can swivel as far as I'm concerned, their grading is bull and seems to change at a whim

Sorry if this post is unhelpful to you

Sick of the jib and their nonsense , they can swivel as far as I'm concerned, their grading is bull and seems to change at a whim

Sorry if this post is unhelpful to
you

Lol no worries, just that alot of places ask for jib card and ecs so thought I would go for approved

Many years ago it used to be as simple as just serve another four years after becoming a spark and you could apply i wish i had done it but by the time i enquired they wanted more and now it seems every time you think you have what they want they move the goal posts so i am happy to stay as i am !

Exactly my point, I have every qual going including 2391, I'm self employed and have done a good variety of installs in my time and inspected different types of single & three phase installs, so am I an Electrician or not??

Sorry if this post is unhelpful to you

At least they WANT bona-fide qualifications AND proven experience before they grade. So at the very least, you won't find any 17 day whizz kids and electrical trainee carrying an electricians JIB card!! lol!!

In Scotland you have to complete extra college work, be working for at least 2 years then sit another exam called the ACA which is mostly geared around testing but also includes assessment of safe working practices/ risk assessments, safe isolation, fault finding, supervision and a pretty solid underpinning knowledge written paper.
Upto about 10 years ago all you had to do was wait 2 years after getting your time out and you automatically became approved, now they make you jump through hoops for it! As a result most Scottish sparks under the age of 32 aren't approved

i agree with e54 no jib card no work

+1 i agree should be mandatory

They don't move the goalposts(which is why I think they should be mandatory), they haven't changed their requirements for years, it's just most people who haven't
Had the chance to do an apprenticeship need to do the NVQ 3 to satisfy their grades and for some reason alot of sparkies have a real problem with this, and get all snotty when they get a trainee card back through the post, even though on all the many other posts they cry out for stricter part p regulation and higher scheme requirements

what im saying is the jib card would be a good standard to use might stop people getting a van putting logos on and just having a go at it with out proper training then if the customer was to ask for a trade card you could show it do you not think its a good idea

I have to be honest I do agree with you m8, I do things right, I've just phoned the tech where I trained ( and worked in elec department) for two years and spoke to the NVQ assessor, I'm thinking of signing up for NVQ, I don't want to be left behind and let my hard work go to waste

im not saying the jib is the best thing since slice bread far from it to be honest just think your better off having a jib than not having one and it would be a good starter point for everyone show your jib or trade card or you dont work

The JIB have had the chance's over the years to standardise the electrical industry as a whole and to form an actual registry of types, but they haven't and didn't!!

The one thing they have been consistent in, is the high standards applied of grading the various electrical grades. Yes they can seem pedantic at times and don't always get things right or fair!! But there is no way an under trained and inexperienced wanna-be electrician can officially/legally obtain a JIB Grade Card!!

Ahem , well in answer to the OP's question , you'll need to hold the standard Electricians card / grading for 2 years before getting approved.
standard stuff everyone has to go through it.

and at least the JIB arent driven by pure greed unlike the scams.

The JIB have had the chance's over the years to standardise the electrical industry as a whole and to form an actual registry of types, but they haven't and didn't!!

they have never been in the position to make national changes , without goverment mandate they can only govern electrical training at a private level and remain independent , which does have its upsides.
but agree with your sentiment.

It used to be that you had to have completed an apprenticeship with a JIB registered company and had to have held a gold card for at least 2 years.
My understanding is that the requirement changed a few years back, so that even for renewal, the 2391 was now required.
Whether serving an Apprenticeship with a JIB registered company was still required, I don't know.
I would imagine, that if the 2391 is a requirement, then both the 2394 and 5 will now be required.

Another jib enquiry to what Is actually required to become approved? I've been trained to 17th edition I qualified 2 years ago and have my nvq3 am2 etc. I've just taken the 2395 but ive been told by someone who apparently called the jib and enquired, that u can't be approved unless u have 2395 and 2394?? Is this true?

The jib site says the person must obtain a suitable testing qualification but doesn't mention 2391 or 2394-5 etc[/QUOT

Go on the jib ecs site fill out the form send copys of you quals and see what happens.

Reply to JIB approved? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock