JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) JIB card questions

Discuss JIB card questions in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

greekislandlover

Had a nice surprise this morning when I got to work. Got called into the office (assumed -------ing) and got given my NVQ3 certificate. It's been a while since I did this and I'd forgotten about it completely! I was thinking that now I have 2360, 2391 and this new bit of paper it might be time to apply for a card in a pretty colour. Maybe hang on until I've done 17th in october.

Thing is, I'm not sure it's worth anything, and there seems to be more hoops to jump through. I guess if I needed to look elsewhere for a job it might be a plus, but currently it looks like aggro.

Is it a card that's really necessary?

How long you been in the trade Greek?
(Still think your name sounds like some sleazy character out of Shirley Valentine) ;)

if you're doing commercial work .....we are getting asked for the ecs card more and more

Yeah, you can add 17th on jib card, it costs £25 i think. I fell for it last time with the 16th. Don't pay em anything, just apply for job all they ask are you jib graded, err yes, have you got 17th, err yes. save yourself the protection money, don't pay em

Bane - been with my current employer 5 years next month, did 2360 3 years ago and 2391 2 years ago in June.

Thinking about this, we are meant to be doing an 'Elf 'n' safety' test as everybody is supposed to have some card or other. It's possible they are talking about JIB cards. Trouble is, the company (although regional and not huge) tends to behave like a big company and have departments for everything that never talk ro each other and the paperwork has got lost at least twice!

I think I'll wait for 17th before I do anything myself.

Thing is, I feel NVQ3 is just a bit of paper and therefore without value or merit. With 2360 and 2391 I felt an achievement when the cert dropped on the mat. With both of them I was revising at lunch time, getting people to check me on things I needed to remember and going through past papers and so on. I felt I'd got them by working - especially as I know people who didn't put in the work didn't pass.

With this, we had minimal contact with the company doing it, and nobody anyone knows has ever failed it. It's always struck me as something the government dreamed up to prove people are better educated and qualified, and the main gainers are the college who run the course with all that lovely cash flowing from government. It feels like something they hand to immigrants upon entry to help them get a job!

Maybe I need more coffee - having a bit of a grump :(

I have an old JIB card registered 1996 no photograph or qualifications on it will they let me renew it or must i be working for a JIB firm

i find alot of the agencys are now asking for your JIB card as its probably the quickest way they know if your a genuine spark, especially if its for work abroad. i applied for mine a few years ago now and it was a load of grief just to get the forms filled in correctly never mind anything else but i havent been asked for it many times. my advice would be to get it, once you have it its easy to renew and although its £25 youd make it back in a couple of hours if it got you on to a job

Do you have to be working for a registered JIB company or can you get one if you have the correct qualifications. i have old jib cards so the do have a record of me.

no i never have worked for a JIB registared firm and have always got mine no problem. its probably just a matter of sending of your old card with the £25 ransom

Reply to JIB card questions in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock