JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) jib card?

Discuss jib card? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The card is for the Joint Industrial Board. Over the years it as become a bit toothless but quite a few employers still require the JIB card as their main function in life now seems to be Health & Safety and the ECS card.

They still set a minimum rate of pay for the various grades and that is used mainly as a guide line for companies, if the company subscribe or are a member of the JIB then they pay those rates, if they are not then it's an open field.

They also can adjudicate in disputes between memebers and companies that are also affiliated to the board, but again if you work for a non JIB company then it's not worth it.

Saying all that I did a JIB apprenticeship and still a Platinum Card holder but I think it is more out of habit than design.

As I said their main function today seems to be H&S and the ECS card that most sites now want you to have as an Electrcian, so for that it's worth joining.

There are about 12 different grades and they grade you dependant of your qualifications, these are available on their website

Joint Industry Board for the Electrical Contracting Industry

do you have to be currently employed to apply? I am a adult trainee with a few qualifications, doing 2330, and saw in another thread that having one helps to get work?
Just a bit confused, thanks

is it worth applying as a labourer or trainee?
i am doing level 2 2330, have 17th, 2392 and Part P, but no real on site exp.
will a jib card this help get me on site? or should i stick with a cscs?
thanks

If you get the ECS card Do you also need a CSCS card to get on Site as I've had my CSCS card for almost 5 years now but would rather just get an Adult trainee's ECS card than just re-newing my CSCS

If you get the ECS card Do you also need a CSCS card to get on Site as I've had my CSCS card for almost 5 years now but would rather just get an Adult trainee's ECS card than just re-newing my CSCS

The ECS card is the same as your CSCS apart from the fact thet it is electrcial biased. Both cards will allow you to access construction sites, it's only the ECS card that should allow you to work on electics of that site. At most site inductions when coming on site as an electrician they will ask to see your ECS card to log it. If you only have a CSCS card then they should not allow you to work with the electrical services

Reply to jib card? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock