Discuss jib card in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cosine

-
Reaction score
Hi All
hope you can help with a little problem i have

i have just applied for a new job put in my cv and they have e mailed me back saying that i need an Approved jib card.I was under the idea that if i had 2391 17th ed and was qualified to C Cert i didnt require a card.
If i do need a card how long does in take to get .

regards
cosine

you only need a jib card if the firm you applied to is a jib firm.
if like me you work for yourself then you dont need a card.
you wont get one anytime soon either as you need your nvq3/am2. :eek:

A lot of jobs will specify that a JIB card is required. Personally I can't understand why anyone wouldn't apply for one.

thats because you work for a jib firm :rolleyes:

i cant understand why anyone would apply for one and accept their payscales, but then i work for myself ;)

thats because you work for a jib firm :rolleyes:

Actually, I have never worked for a JIB firm. I wish I did, as the JIB rates are far higher than what anyone else pays over here. That said, there are only something like two JIB firms over here. The only time I ever got (nearly) JIB rates was temporary work through a recruitment agency.

I did a JIB Registered Apprenticeship, however.

But I can't understand why anyone (working for a JIB firm or otherwise) would not apply for a JIB card. Obviously if you are working for yourself it might be a different story, but it's still sensible to have one in case anyone asks for it.

the simple reason is that the vast majority dont have the qualifications required for a jib card

the simple reason is that the vast majority dont have the qualifications required for a jib card
been trading since 1988, even got my 2391, never been asked for jib card so never bothered getting one. if anyone does ever ask then i might change my mind. back to the op though and if you have been told that you need one then you need to speak with jib to see how they will grade you if you dont have nvq3 or am2 qualifications ;).

Hi again

unless it has changed since jason s posted Approved electrician grading in electrical courses nvq then no AM2 is required

Regards

cosine

Hi again

unless it has changed since jason s posted Approved electrician grading in electrical courses nvq then no AM2 is required

Regards

cosine
mate of mine finished his 2330 in 2007, got 2391 and 17th.recently submitted his nvq logbook (last 4 weeks) and has now been told he needs to do his am2 as well :mad:
hes not very happy as you can imagine, especially when he found out how much the am2 course is for 3 days :eek:

I too am self employed but as said if people have money to burn then get one ! its a waist of time and money nothing more nothing less nothing to do with not having required quals as ive said i dont need no stinking jib card to prove i have quals i just show them never had any probs before why pay all that dosh when not needed ? if nobody payed the fee jib would be forced to reduce the fee or companies would be forced to just take on qualified sparks as qualified sparks ! just making a new card for fat sparks send me prof of quals and just £200 and you will get a nice shiney SLOB card ! & for all you gangster sparks for an extra £50 i will do a nice MOB card with a violin case shape its sure to take off !
Just call 01 811 8055 dam thats swopshop cant remember the number now keep you all posted !
Regards
Kung.

FYI, to apply for a JIB card costs £25. Not exactly extorsionate is it.

The JIB requirements for grading are what they are, same as NIC, ECA, Napit etc etc have their own rules and regs. Same as applying for a mortgage joining the Army etc if you dont cut it....no card!! thats just the way it is.

mate of mine finished his 2330 in 2007, got 2391 and 17th.recently submitted his nvq logbook (last 4 weeks) and has now been told he needs to do his am2 as well :mad:
hes not very happy as you can imagine, especially when he found out how much the am2 course is for 3 days :eek:

That's because the AM2 forms part of the NVQ. As such, without it, you cannot achieve the NVQ. I believe there may be exceptions to this for mature trainees, but certainly within an Apprenticeship the AM2 is required in order to achieve the NVQ Level 3.

FYI, to apply for a JIB card costs £25.

You beat me to it. And it's cheaper if you work for a JIB firm, and it's also cheaper for everyone AFAIK to renew.

Last edited:
FYI, to apply for a JIB card costs £25. Not exactly extorsionate is it.

The JIB requirements for grading are what they are, same as NIC, ECA, Napit etc etc have their own rules and regs. Same as applying for a mortgage joining the Army etc if you dont cut it....no card!! thats just the way it is.

money is money ! whats jib got that C & G hasnt ? dont cut it ? sorry didnt know im inferior not having a jib card only quals :eek:
Better apply ! dont want anyone thinking im a micky mouse spark do i !

THOUGHT IT WAS £214.00 PLUS £79.00 FOR 2009 ! PRICE MUST BE WRONG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I never realised I was a SLOB or a member of an organised crime family for having one.

I was merely saying that the JIB is what it is and nowt you me or anyone else says or does will change their ways.

I was not implying that anyone is better or worse than anyone else at all.

I know you wernt but some companies seem to think they are ! thats the big problem with the electrical industry ! same goes for people saying their sparks like me step daulters other half fitting showers etc tells people hes a spark (qualified) and has 2330 part 1 ! nope no more just that ! anyone can call themself a spark etc in a perfect world we wouldnt need jib etc as quals would be enough but in this day and age i can see why people get them as it saves carrying all them quals about ! will prob get one but was told it was £400 per yr so put me off as just spent £5k on tools/testgear upgrades as well as 17th ed

oops :eek: just realised i do have a jib card, it was sent to me as part of my nic domestic installer enrollment free of charge by them ;) not sure what use it is to me though :confused:

????????????????????

A JIB card has nothing whatsoever to do with the NICEIC.

The jib have a card now which is a (qualified supervisor part p card) niceic certificate of enrolment is required as well as lots of orther paperwork for card! Only £5.00 :D Not the same as a ecs card though!

Reply to jib card in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock