• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss JIB graded me as labourer! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkz

Just been graded as a labourer. Iv got all parts of 16th edition up to level 3 and have AM1. I sent all my certificates and proof what i have achieved. Iv studied 3 years full time at college and didnt do my NVQ3 because i was not a day release scheme. Will i have to do 17th edition to gain NVQ3?

appreciate your help

i.ve got HND Electrical Engineering and they graded me as a labourer.!, just because i've not taken the time to do the 17th

Bit confused.....when you say you have "all parts of 16th edition" what do you mean??? The 16th edition (2381) was a course in it's own right.

To be graded as an "electrician" by the JIB you will need your NVQ 3.......you should have the 17th ed now anyway really.

this happened to me too depsite having done my city and guilds 2330 level 2 and 3, i wouldnt of minded so much but took the time to send it certs and didnt even print my qualifications on the back of the card, still im doing my NVQ 3 now anyways

I have had so much fun with JIB, the came up with a new grade for me after it went to the board?,they agreed with the qualification from three countries (british time served 2360+ all the way to 2391,2400 and a degree or,didn`t do the NVQ)and written recomendation from CEOs from three plc they would award me the card .But when it came had labourer on it ,they try there best but they do have a hard job and they have to set the standard somewhere and at some qualification. They do amaze me though that even with letters and a Bsc(Hons) you can still be a labourer so the card is in my office in Denmark till xmas in pride of place next to my Bsc(Hons),I managed to work for twenty plus years in major electrical contracts all over the world only to be told by JIB i`m dont get my card today sorry.

Don't want to upset you guys but i haven't got NVQ3 or AM2 and got an approved grade with JIB this year. I've been in the trade 10 years and underwent training as an apprentice in the armed forces. As long as you provide detailed references showing your experience and your qualifications and a nice letter they will grade you correctly.

I was told i can appeal against it and they would grade me again with a reference showing my experience. So im gonna give that a butcher

Last edited by a moderator:
Could anybody tell me what grade I would get from the jib, with just nvq3, 7 years experience and 17th edition. Trouble is I ain't done the 2330 level 2&3 as I was told that, because of my experience I didn't need to do the 2330.

I have had so much fun with JIB, the came up with a new grade for me after it went to the board?,they agreed with the qualification from three countries (british time served 2360+ all the way to 2391,2400 and a degree or,didn`t do the NVQ)and written recomendation from CEOs from three plc they would award me the card .But when it came had labourer on it ,they try there best but they do have a hard job and they have to set the standard somewhere and at some qualification. They do amaze me though that even with letters and a Bsc(Hons) you can still be a labourer so the card is in my office in Denmark till xmas in pride of place next to my Bsc(Hons),I managed to work for twenty plus years in major electrical contracts all over the world only to be told by JIB i`m dont get my card today sorry.

So why would you apply for an Electricians JIB card, if your a degreed Engineer??

I've got 236 parts 1 and 2 and just doing 2382, looked at jib and I would only get adult training grade with that. Arse to that. I'll go without jib card.

we have two lads working for us, one lad is a really good spark has 2330 level 2 & 3, part p, 17th edition, and years of experience and is graded as an improver because he hasnt finished his NVQ 3, the other lad has just NVQ 3 and no other qualifications and is totally useless, dangerous and numb but he is a JIB graded spark with a gold card. I NO WHO I WOULD RATHER HAVE WORKING WITH ME.

we have two lads working for us, one lad is a really good spark has 2330 level 2 & 3, part p, 17th edition, and years of experience and is graded as an improver because he hasnt finished his NVQ 3, the other lad has just NVQ 3 and no other qualifications and is totally useless, dangerous and numb but he is a JIB graded spark with a gold card. I NO WHO I WOULD RATHER HAVE WORKING WITH ME.

The JIB Would not grade you as an electrician with just NVQ Level 3, I think you need:

2330 Level 3
AM2
NVQ Level 3
And maybe the 17th edition

If someone has been given a jib electrician grade with just an NVQ level 3, There has been a mistake somewhere and needs to be rectified! I love the JIB grading system for up and coming sparks, it divides the useless one who can't be arsed to finish off the NVQ level 3 in their own time to the ones who work hard and are serious about becoming an electrician and finish it!

The NVQ Level 3 was the hardest part of my apprenticeship.

The JIB Would not grade you as an electrician with just NVQ Level 3, I think you need:

2330 Level 3
AM2
NVQ Level 3
And maybe the 17th edition

If someone has been given a jib electrician grade with just an NVQ level 3, There has been a mistake somewhere and needs to be rectified! I love the JIB grading system for up and coming sparks, it divides the useless one who can't be arsed to finish off the NVQ level 3 in their own time to the ones who work hard and are serious about becoming an electrician and finish it!

The NVQ Level 3 was the hardest part of my apprenticeship.

Hopefully along the course off however many years it takes me to learn how to be a spark ill get a JIB card.. but in your NVQ what do you have to do? Im currently on my Lv2 2330 course.

Kieran94.... I will all be explained by the college when you come on to doing your Level 3. Its not hard, just time comsuming and you need to be able to explain all type of work you will come across as an electrician! When you come to do it.... Just graft away and get it done, you will be respected and taken a lot more seriously by other sparks from my past experiences.

Penance.... I said the NVQ level 3 was good for up and coming sparks, also the JIB state in their grading section that you will be graded as an electrician if you have the 2360 Parts 1,2 Have a look....

JIB Grading Definitions - Electrician Grade

I've always seen this JIB as a farce. The people with NVQ3 will always argue they are fully qualified and others without it aren't. If you want to work on sites go JIB. It is for that only. Domestic off-site, the NVQ3 alone would not allow you to install or test, unsupervised, without Part P or a scheme. So therefore you are not domestic approved. It works both ways...

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to JIB graded me as labourer! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back