JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) JIB grading

Discuss JIB grading in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

dean7828

hi guys could someone help with identifying what JIB grade i would be able to get with my current qualification as everyone seems to have different opinions on the matter, i currently hold.......

17th eddition
NVQ L3
2330 L2 & L3

just been layed off so need the card instead of paying for a CSCS card. any advice would be great thanks in advance.

basically im trying to find out if i need to do the AM2 or not, i guess ill phone them tomorrow. thanks

Well i have the exact same qualifications except the 2391

However i do have the AM2 as well and was graded as "Installation Electrician"

I could be wrong but im pretty sure you may have to complete the AM2, as its a recognised practical competancy test

If you visit the JIB website or give them a call they will be able to tell you very quickly

Their office isnt that big so dont worry about speaking to some foreigner or being stuck on hold, they were quite helpful with me when i called

Last edited by a moderator:
basically im trying to find out if i need to do the AM2 or not, i guess ill phone them tomorrow. thanks

Please keep us posted mate, it would be good to know how you get on, when I called them to ask the same question they would not tell me what grade I would get over the phone they said just send in copys of your certs along with the other stuff and they would look into it.

well im hoping i will be able to get the grade "electrician" without the am2 as the grading description seems to be pointing in that direction, and then approved after 2 years. i let you know what they say tomorrow,

oh the joys of being layed off!!

well im hoping i will be able to get the grade "electrician" without the am2 as the grading description seems to be pointing in that direction, and then approved after 2 years. i let you know what they say tomorrow,

oh the joys of being layed off!!

they keep going on about apprenticeships 2360 and am2 and nvq3,were you a jib apprentice.? i know a few lads have ended up with trainee or labourer grades

Last edited by a moderator:
bummer about getting laid off mate times are hard, im working underpaid with no money in the budget apparently for a rise so i get paid the same as a labourer and i do an approved sparks job soul destroying it is but what can i do i could be layed off tomorrow...

Having looked at this myself, I would like to be corrected that the OP will be graded Electrician as he has the NVQ level 3. AM2 is not required (but useful). 2391 (+ 2 years) = APPROVED electrician. JIB are hung up about NVQ 3. Without it, even though finished apprenticeship with AM2, will only get provisional electrician, or senior graded trainee or something like that.

I think you also need a company to 'sponsor' you (no money, just a form of reference). Again, you will need to have recently passed ECS test, UNLESS achieved NVQ 3 recently. This exempts you from taking the test for 3 years.

You have the nvq3 so should be fine for electrician grade,i called them and dont have nvq3,they said id be graded as labourer,fair enough i said but is it time for me to throw my test kit away as no labourer should be allowed to do pirs or eics on commercial premises should they?jib man didnt know what to say.

You have the nvq3 so should be fine for electrician grade,i called them and dont have nvq3,they said id be graded as labourer,fair enough i said but is it time for me to throw my test kit away as no labourer should be allowed to do pirs or eics on commercial premises should they?jib man didnt know what to say.

sucks, doesn't it? hence my point about 'hung up about nvq 3.' maybe they're taking brown envelopes from the nvq awarding bodies??

However i do have the AM2 as well and was graded as "Installation Electrician"

Installation Electrician is not actually a grade. It is an occupation.

The grade is at the bottom and might be Electrician, or Approved Electrician or Technician.

I am in a similar position as the OP
I have 2351, NVQ 3 and 17th. Applied for my JIB card 6 weeks ago, and was returned my application last week. There was a letter stating that they either wanted my AM 2 certificate or I had to sign a sort of disclaimer stating that my application would have to go to the ' Grading Panel '

So the morale is, if you dont have AM 2 but everything else then your application will go to the grading panel.

well now you c my concern, nothing seems to be set in stone and everyone has a different idea, as i have just been layed off im reluctant to pay for the am2 which i believe its a grade to prove you're practical knowledge, ive been a commercial spark for some time now and haven't got the money or energy to throw at this, im still paying for the past papers, being a spark used to be like printing money now its all about spending money to keep in the trade, something needs to give!

Reply to JIB grading in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock