Discuss JIB grading in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

daiplayer

Hiya all

im sorry for posting this as i know its been done to death....
but could somebody shed some light onto what i may be graded as ? ( JIB)

Quals are -

• City and guilds 2330 - lvl2
  • City and guilds 2330-lvl3
  • C&G 2382 - 17TH edition regs
  • C&G 2391-10 - Inspection and testing
  • NAPIT fully approved

Thanks in advance .

sorry all....just spoke to ecs , but if anybody is interested

- not directly employed = electrical labourer's card
-directly employed = electrical trainee
- NVQ Lv3 = electrical instllation electricain ( gold card )

Last edited by a moderator:
I might also be correct in stating that once you have a JIB grade you have it for life ie out of the trade a few years contact the JIB and get your previous grade card issued.

Dont mention NAPIT, you'll just get a labourers card. lol.

Seriously though.
When doing commercial work.
Facilities managers have wised up a lot.
They are more likely to ask to see a gold approved electrician card than be interested in if your company is registered with NICEIC or anything else.
Also your public liability insurance, and H&S policy, is on there list.
Although we are NIC registered it seems that being with a scheme provider is not that high on there list of priorities.
It doesnt stop a young lad turning up to complete a job.
Your JIB card is therefore Gold in more ways than one.
We have found this on to many occasions to be concidence, so go get one.

Joe public, wont have a clue though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might also be correct in stating that once you have a JIB grade you have it for life ie out of the trade a few years contact the JIB and get your previous grade card issued.

Mine expired in 2009 and they still have everything on record, I've just got to pay for a re issue. Though now I'm going for the approved level and contracts managers card. If you are self employed and registered with a scheme they put the branding of the NICEIC for example on the card to show you are a qualified superviser.

So help me out here, if some with NICEIC qualified supervisor status applies to the JIB they'd probably get the grade of electrician with a qualified supervisor stamped on the card. If so does that work the other way for example would someone with a JIB Technician's grade get a qualified supervisor's rating if they decided to become self employed and join one of the scams ????
Mine expired in 2009 and they still have everything on record, I've just got to pay for a re issue. Though now I'm going for the approved level and contracts managers card. If you are self employed and registered with a scheme they put the branding of the NICEIC for example on the card to show you are a qualified supervisor.

To have obtained the JIB tech card and the grading in the first place you would of had to have the correct quals which would have been checked by the JIB, so to apply to one of the schemes would just be a case of submitting those same quals again, they need to see them regardless. An NICEIC QS would still need to show proof of his Quals to the JIB if applying for his first gold card.

Makes me laugh that those with as far as I can see the superior JIB card electrician, approved or indeed technician as opposed to these scam registrations cannot work in the domestic environment, doesn't make sense at all.

It's very worrying to think as you've said £500 + 17th and join a scam (even though the JIB would only give a labourers card at the best an electricians) work in people's homes etc JIB graded sparks work on single phase, three phase and a multitude of other types of installations and not even allowed to work in a house. Makes no sense at all.
dont forget kas1, if youve got £500 and 17th you can do what you want!

Reply to JIB grading in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net