Discuss JIB Spark self employment guidance in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BRUMSPARK

Hi to all on Electriciansforum

Im new to the site and just looking for some guidance on going self employed.

Im a JIB Approved electrician and am currently working for one of the companies that are about to leave the JIB to form this new building services aggreement. Im pretty sick of the us and them situation between the guys on site and those in charge and want out.

Ive been browsing the forums but there is such a daunting amount of varied information that it is hard to put together exactly what i need to do to go self employed in domestic, commercial, industrial and periodic testing sectors.

I also require some guidance on the part p schemes and whether or not i can self cerify and if not what are the fees to notify LABC? I.e how do i get on the schemes if im not allowed to do domestic work in the first place.

Also do i need to be on these schemes to go around doing inspection and testing.

Some info about me.

Im a current 16th Edition JIB Approved electrician with 2391 inspection and testing.
I also hold the C course certificate and a BTEC National in building services engineering.

Ive been approved since 2005 and have actively carried out inspection and testing and authorised person duties on a number of large projects alongside the usual commercial/ industrial installation work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi brum and welcome.
You dont need to join a scam to do T@I you just need Indemnity insurance for PIR work.
Get your 17th would be the first step mate.
To join a body you need to do a assessment, look on there webbys to see what you ll need, Normally a CCU change mine something of that kind.
The catch 22 of notifying. I did the job, Got assessed, Notifyed the job after my assessment, Probaly not the correct way of doing it, But it saved me £250-£300..

Last edited by a moderator:
Try NAPIT first they will be the best scheme for you to join and are helpful.
By the looks of your quals it would be better you tried the building services maintenance mobs.
I would advise anybody against starting a business at the moment unless there is already work lined up. If going self employed that is the aim, not just go subbing on an hourly rate, otherwise you will just get used and abused.

Reply to JIB Spark self employment guidance in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net