JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) JIB technician

Discuss JIB technician in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That's good, i thought the JIB stipulated that you had to have your approved card for 5 years before they would issue the technician's card. Good for you to get it. The cscs (ecs) card has to be done every 3 years and also on a lot of jobs i am applying for you must have experience in the last 3 years (ship work for example). Due to H&S the agencies and employers are beginning to believe that being 'competent' is having experience in the last 3 years. therefore that is why they want up to date qualifications all the time. what is the next card after technicians?

For "Site Technician" you do need 5 years experience as an "Approved Electrician". For "Installation Technician" you dont, just a reference from your boss plus a design qualification of some description i.e C&G 2360 "C" course or 2400/2391-20 as it's now known.

For "Site Technician" you do need 5 years experience as an "Approved Electrician". For "Installation Technician" you dont, just a reference from your boss plus a design qualification of some description i.e C&G 2360 "C" course or 2400/2391-20 as it's now known.

Thanks for the info.

Good to hear you've got your tech card but you may find it to be more trouble than its worth in contracting. I've had mine 10 years and I've often found myself out of work because of it due to employers saying the same old "we don't need a tech-we only need an approved".I ended up going subbie.

Being an 'approved electrician' does not a technician make.

Additional qualifications are needed in the area of design such as the 2360 'c' course or the 2400/2391-20.

Together with experience, any one of the above qualies will allow you to be graded as a 'technician' with the JIB.

It depends upon how far up you want to go. As far as electrical install goes it jumps from approved to tech in one go but you will find city and guilds 236 C course or its modern equivalent and three to four years in a technical(ish) capacity are needed. You could always have a go at ONC, then HNC and then HND in electrical engineering to get your Eng. ticket but it starts getting miles away from installations. Good luck with your training.

how soon will i be able to get my installtion technician card? 3rd year apprentice, 2391-10 done, starting 2391-20 in september.

2 years after i do my am2 will i become approved?

how long after that will i become a tech? providing all goes well with 2391-20?

You should be ok to apply for your approved tag 2 years after you get your electrician grade. Tech status will come 3 to 4 years later depending upon experience and whether you can get your boss to give you a good ref. on the application form or when you reach 27.As far as install work goes, getting your tech card isn't what its cracked up to be but it may help you move sideways into a more technical job rather than stick at bending conduit for ever.

Reply to JIB technician in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net