Discuss JIB Underpinning knowledge in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am currently going through the JIB under pinning knowledge questions, Is there a conversion table anywhere, which gives guidance on just what the this question is asking, the wording is confusing at best, ridiculous at worst. "What are main types, advantages and limitations of test instruments used?" Does this refer to Analogue and digital, specific test instruments? who knows????

Last edited by a moderator:
I am guessing here from your wording that they are meaning the different types of instruments used in testing ie
Continuity tester
Insulation resistance tester
Earth fault loop impedance tester
RCD tester
Multi-testers

The pro and cons of each

I thought that too, but the pros and cons of using an earth fault loop impedence meter for testing earth fault loop impedence? I thought again surely they refer to analogue and digital.

My initial thoughts , not to trust a Neon/volt stick/(fairy wand) for dead testing ,
2 pole volts tester ... ( But not doing JIB .. ! )
... Only Analogue thing I think of is Tape measure .. AVO8 a bit heavy !
...What determines accuracy ... especially if dropped many times ?
( Now thinking -trainee Area- may be more fruitful .. before I confuse folk )

Last edited:
From my experience, with these types of questions... is that you need to know what answer they are expecting. It's a classic case of knowing too much through experience... I wonder if their marking guide covers parallax error in reading an AVO ?

I find some of the hardest topics to answer are H&S questions... as I tend to think from experience, not what the textbook tells you.

I am currently going through the JIB under pinning knowledge questions, Is there a conversion table anywhere, which gives guidance on just what the this question is asking, the wording is confusing at best, ridiculous at worst. "What are main types, advantages and limitations of test instruments used?" Does this refer to Analogue and digital, specific test instruments? who knows????
I think your over thinking it, not too many use analogue stuff nowdays although it has its uses. The answers in the question, "what are the main types", list the common instruments, IR tester, Loop tester, Voltage indicator, RCD tester. "What are the limitations" IR testers some may not test at 1000v and/or 100v; Loop testers, some may not test RA in certain scenario's without an extra lead, some may trip RCD without connecting to N, some on no-trip setting may give unrealistic result, some loop testers are affected by noise; loop test for IPF in 3ph, some testers might not connect between two phases so worst case calculation is needed; Voltage indicators, some might not display exact voltage, two prong v.d's wont show if there's voltage between Line & E and/or Line &N at the same time like the MFT ones do; RCD, some testers might not test type A, F, and B rcd's. Theres likely other things i missed, like fused leads, auto rcd testing

Also good input, I really could not make up my mind which way to go with it.

Well with that question just answer exactly what they asking, theres so many different test instruments out there, the expensive ones giving an advantage over the not so expensive ones. Imagine you were getting a new mft, which one would you get ?? Probly the one that suits your requirements :)

Yes very true. In general the wording for nany of the questions dreadful, and the feedback often brings up something that is definitely not in the question lol

Reply to JIB Underpinning knowledge in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock