Discuss JIB vs Gas Safe in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

atm84

-
Reaction score
So was having a discussion at work today about the different requirements our industry has. All gas engineers must be gas safe registered to carry out work on gas installations.

I know it's not mandatory for an electrician to have a JIB card but can anyone remind me if you need to have the latest regulations ie 17 edition to get one or do you just have to take the ECS test?

Phone them up and ask them, or as you have proven you are competent to use the internet search for it using a search engine.

No point in calling them as I would be wasting their time. Id much rather waste your time because I know you are going to be reading this nonsense reply.

https://www.ecscard.org.uk/Card-Types/Core-–-Electrical/ECS-Installation-Electrician

https://www.ecscard.org.uk/getattac..._gold_card_at_Electrician_-_November_2014.pdf

It says a current Health & Safety Certificate or recognised H&S qualification and a formal BS7671 qualification in the current edition of the wiring regulations.

You have to have the above in addition to your other qualifications like nvq3 etc. You can be exempt from doing the H&S test if you have gained your nvq3 within the last 5 years.

Last edited:
I hoovered out my combustion chamber the other day, I'm now worried if I'm going to burn in hell because I'm not GasSafe registered.

PLEASE tell me that's NOT a euphemism,for some internet sourced self-help medical procedure...:icon12:

should the question not be "gas safe v nic" or "v part p schemes" ? jib does a different job all together.

JIB sets standards for employment, welfare, grading and apprentice training in the electrical contracting industry.

members benefit from a body which takes care of employment matters, a comprehensive health and benefits scheme and access to markets for contractors etc all non statutory as are all electrical regs & other membership outlets ie nic / elecsa / stroma / Corgi etc . It's also a condition of membership that members should only employ fellow JIB companies .

Gas Safe is stautory by law / is a charity & dose non of the above .

JIB sets standards for employment, welfare, grading and apprentice training in the electrical contracting industry.

members benefit from a body which takes care of employment matters, a comprehensive health and benefits scheme and access to markets for contractors etc all non statutory as are all electrical regs & other membership outlets ie nic / elecsa / stroma / Corgi etc . It's also a condition of membership that members should only employ fellow JIB companies .

Gas Safe is stautory by law / is a charity & dose non of the above .

Gas Safe is a scam just like the Sparky scams but for gadgees who play with gas.

I used to belong to the only body that represented electricians,it was the ETU
They crumbled and lost my members fees when they took part in the job snatching at Wapping

Every gas engineer needs to be gas safe registered. I know there isn't an equivalent body for the electrical industry. Only companies need to be Niceic etc, not individuals. I know electricians don't have to be JIB registered but to get onto most sites you now need your ECS/JIB card so was wondering if you did need the latest regs to get one. Shame it's not mandatory to have a JIB card to be a practicing Electrian.

Every gas engineer needs to be gas safe registered. I know there isn't an equivalent body for the electrical industry. Only companies need to be Niceic etc, not individuals. I know electricians don't have to be JIB registered but to get onto most sites you now need your ECS/JIB card so was wondering if you did need the latest regs to get one. Shame it's not mandatory to have a JIB card to be a practicing Electrian.

That's why the UK desperately needs a National Register of Qualified Electricians to circumvent many of the parasitic organisations that have foolishly been let into the industry, that then went about systematically destroying the UK's electrical industry for their own financial gain over a number of years....

Reply to JIB vs Gas Safe in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock