Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss jim - problem with the insulation and pvc cables in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jim murdoch

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi Guys
I am working in a house at the moment which is geting refurbished the joiner who is installing Kingspan insulution tells me on his last job there was a problem with the insulation and pvc cables and the bcables had to be kept away from the kingspan insulation. has anyone came accross this before ????

R

rumrunner

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
hi jim,
yes ,"styrofoam" and pvc dont mix well,im not sure if the cable insulation would melt away compleatly in time .but it does get sticky,not sure as to a solution,best to play safe and price for o bit of pipe or trunking ,maybee

M

Minky

Came across this one recently,Kingspan does have a long term effect of polymer migration between the insulation of the cable and Kingspan.
Cause is insulation breakdown on the cabling leaving conductors without any insulation surrounding them and then operation of the protective device.
Plastic trunking and pipe is susceptible also
Solutions are metal conduit,trunking where applicable,or bare MI cable.
One other solution that i believe in use (never used it myself) is LSOH cable.
Although LSOH is more expensive it is certainly cheaper than a civil action.

G

Grae79

From what I know it's only the polystyrene insulation you have to be careful of not the Kingspan type. Was trying to find the relevant reg as i've seen it before, but no joy...

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to jim - problem with the insulation and pvc cables in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom