Discuss Job centre advice in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

paulthe spark

Hi chaps

was just wondering what the job centre are like to deal with? My mate has just been paid off from his company and has made an apointment next week, but ive heard the staff are cheeky and dont't really care. Ive never had any dealings with them myself so can't really comment. Ive heard they won't help you untill youv'e been unemployed for 6 months, i don't know how true this is. And also do they push you into talking any job that comes along? Have to say i wouldn't be too impressed been forced to take a job elsewhere when ive got a skilled trade!

Hi Paul
some are good some are bad its pot luck but all their jobs are on internet under jobcentreplus.com or direct.gov on tv.
What exp has your mate got ?
also try gumtree theres one for most areas so in Reading it is reading gumtree and Oxford is oxford gumtree etc etc also letjoeknow isnt bad !
Best of luck to him.
Regards
Kung.

One of the questions they will, ask have you got any GCSE's:confused:

They asked this question to my mate who had a degree in engineering

well he has been housebashing for years, was just wondering if they would force you to apply for whatever or would they let you apply for only electricial jobs. Same in any career, if you go and spend years training for a job, you wouldn't be too happy doing something else

I Signed on about 2 and a half years ago, and they where spot on, was only just qualified at the time, and she let me put electrician willing to work for no less then £9 an hour, which at the time was fair doo's. I signed on about 3 weeks ago, after being made redundant again, and there trying to make me sign up for jobs as a driver, and shelf stacker and stuff, just sat there and agreed to get her to shut up. like **** am I going to work for 5quid odd after spending 4 years doing an apprenticeship. :D

A feel for you sparkyjoe and i suppose if you refuse to do anything else but electricial work you won't get any benefits? unreal , as much as i hate ma job the now (working for peanuts) im thanking ma lucky stars ive actually got a job, can't believe the guys come on here wanting a career change as an electrician when times are as hard as they are just now, its crazy

If they send you for a job and you really don't want it then you could always start asking questions such as:

Do I get full pay when I'm off sick?
How much sick leave per annum is deemed acceptable?
If I finish my days work early, can I go home?
Can I finish early on (insert day here) as I've got to pick the kids up?
If I am late can I make the time up at the end of the day?
Is there paid paternity leave over and above my holiday days?
How much notice do you need for an emergency day off?
Do you have a smoker's shelter?
Do you provide subsidised meals?
How long is my lunch break/tea break?

Trust me they won't be ringing you with a start date.

Well Its not been to bad, to be honest they make you have 3 job type things, (Ive got electrician labour and driver) for me, and you have to write a personal statment (I will look for jobs in X number of places for X wage ect) I beleave they have to give you dole, as long as you have the NI contributions.

Ive got them paying for my 17th edition just told them that theres no way id get a job as a 16th (altho im bloody trying) The course is 200 odd quid + vat and i just had to provide an invoice and they payed the cash into my bank account. (If i dont manage to get a job after that i might see about hitting them for more, firealarms/access equipment or something)

All in all, its not a major problem but i miss having my 200odd quid a week to spend on ****e a week :p

Joe.

Slight edit, and too just be that bit more annoying the job centre websites down at the mo, was going to fire off some more cvs :p

Last edited by a moderator:
If they send you for a job and you really don't want it then you could always start asking questions such as:

Do I get full pay when I'm off sick?
How much sick leave per annum is deemed acceptable?
If I finish my days work early, can I go home?
Can I finish early on (insert day here) as I've got to pick the kids up?
If I am late can I make the time up at the end of the day?
Is there paid paternity leave over and above my holiday days?
How much notice do you need for an emergency day off?
Do you have a smoker's shelter?
Do you provide subsidised meals?
How long is my lunch break/tea break?

Trust me they won't be ringing you with a start date.

:) I'll have to remeber these :)

Richard

i have been signing on for the last 12 weeks. got a 13 week back to work interveiw next week,
i was told for the first 13 weeks u could look for work in your chosen trade then u must be willin
2 take any work afterwards,

i applied for reAct funding through the welsh assembly gov and got £2500 for retraining, being a mechanic i have done the 17th edition ,fundamentals of inspection,testing and initial verification,
portable appliance testing and am looking to do the 2391 full inspection and testing,

as long as i am seen to be looking for work my local jobcenter appear to be ok

gazzaman241

Reply to Job centre advice in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock