Discuss Job Evaluation in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lecstar

How do you get jobs when no one will employ an uncertified electrician and how do you become certified if you have no jobs to be assessed.

Pay your membership fees to scam provider and then do a consumer unit change on your house and possibly a partial Rewire to show them that's what I did

That seems to be what most people do. I think the official line is that you're supposed to do work notifying LABC until you have done your assessment.

Yes your right if you are working without registration you need to go through labc all the scheme providers are wanting is for you to show them your work so they can see you are ok at no point did I read it as what you have

so register first then carry out a consumer unit change Tails bonding etc for example at my brothers and use this for the assessment is that enough for them to see as long as i have PLI and books etc and answer questions on regs and they will notify building control if everything meets the regs is that right cheers

so register first then carry out a consumer unit change Tails bonding etc for example at my brothers and use this for the assessment is that enough for them to see as long as i have PLI and books etc and answer questions on regs and they will notify building control if everything meets the regs is that right cheers

Thats the unofficial correct answer. I did a CU change and complete re-wirw of my out buildings. The comment was "register this as your first job to get one of these certs to show prospective clients"

Technically, if unregistered you are supposed to inform LABC BEFORE you start the work ;)

Thanks for your replies. I have emailed NICEIC ELECSA and NAPIT to see what they say.

That seems to be what most people do. I think the official line is that you're supposed to do work notifying LABC until you have done your assessment.

philip962 NovusSparkus brucelee graeme harrold thanks for your replies you all seem to be of the same opinion.

I agree with what you are saying but no one will give me work until I am certified, one of the reasons being the extortionate cost of LBC fees. Yes I could change and test the consumer unit in my own home but it would cost me a fortune in fees to the LBC. If not certified I would have to inform them before I start as I understand.

Just remember when you inform labc tell them that you will be signing this job off as part of your assessment that way nothing extra to pay out

Thanks for your replies. I have emailed NICEIC ELECSA and NAPIT to see what they say.

philip962 NovusSparkus brucelee graeme harrold thanks for your replies you all seem to be of the same opinion.

I agree with what you are saying but no one will give me work until I am certified, one of the reasons being the extortionate cost of LBC fees. Yes I could change and test the consumer unit in my own home but it would cost me a fortune in fees to the LBC. If not certified I would have to inform them before I start as I understand.

As long as you notify LABC that you are using this as assesment this is fine, I registered with Elecsa who are great, did my CU upgrade and additional socket installed so I had a EI and minor works, only wanted to see the CU paperwork and testing and that was all done.

Elecsa are the way forward very friendly and helpfu when you need them

cheers for posting as i am in the same boat, I wish to register with elecsa who i hear are more helpful than the others. I am going to register with them and carry out cu change at my brothers, bonding, tails etc and also exterior socket and outdoor lighting including garden, but will have to carry out a pir first on existing CU and fuseboard. then replace with new fully protected rcd split load board and get the dno to fit isolator, upgrade there side of tails from cut out to meter and then to isolator as they are unsheathed at the moment and not mechanically protected cheers to to lecstar for posting read my mind and to all who have given practical advice cheers

Hi all,
Thanks for your replies and advice.
Looks like I,m in for a new consumer unit.
Just another question first?

Do split load boards comply with the 17th edition. As I understand circuits are split into two banks with 2 rcds and each circuit with a mcb. How does this comply with reg 314.1 and 314.2 which state the need to prevent nuisance tripping, unnecessary hazards and inconvenience and the need to not affect other circuits.

I was thinking it will cost me a fortune using RCBOs, if its ok to use split board whats the best way to split circuits and what do you do about the household computers that may add up to more than 30mA leakage.

RCD 1
Upstairs lights
Downstairs sockets
Immersion
Shower
Smoke alarms

RCD 2
Downstairs lights
Upstairs sockets
Cooker
Kitchen sockets
Boiler

Something like this would be fine.

Last edited:
In theory each piece of electronic equipment is allowed to leak around 3.5 mA but the reality is usually closer to 1 mA so unless you are planning to open an internet cafe I would not worry too much.

Reply to Job Evaluation in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net